1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaco´s 2-finger muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by juancho, Apr 1, 2006.

1. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Hi, I was watching Jaco´s instructional video and I didn´t understand very well about his "ring finger and pinky" muting technique, I really like it, ´cause it sounds excelent but does anybody use it?? Could you explain me what he did say?

thanks

2. The funny thing about how he explained his muting is: that he did not do it the way he described it... when you see him play, you see that his ring finger and pinky are not involved.

3. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    that´s is so the point!!!

4. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah, I don't think he (or anyone else) ever mutes in the way he describes in that video. Just do as he does, not as he says.

5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I think Gary Willis actually mutes the way jaco describes in his video. I always thought Jaco muted with the left hand.

6. I think Willis also does *not* mute like Jaco claimed to do. As far as I understand, Willis uses the side of his hand, not the ring finger and pinky.

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Not according to the video I saw ...

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Willis uses the free-stroke method. Where, on a 5-string, he uses
    Thumb=B
    Index= E
    Middle=A
    Ring=D
    Pinky=G

I could be wrong about the pinky. This a classical tecnique.

You can also mute strings like this while slapping.

-Mark

9. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    with the left hand? how? can´t understand...

10. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    By plucking a note and the left hand is not pushing the string all the way to the fretboard.

Maybe we're talking two different things (ghost notes, vs. actual muting)

11. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    yes, as far as I know, you explained how to do a ghost note. I don´t have any trouble with it.

But muting...I find it hard learning those techniques, and even harder jaco´s.

12. IMO this example shows how Gary uses the palm mute for the effect of muted notes rather than muting strings not required to sound. His lessons on the site for right hand technique illustrate his right hand technique for muting strings that are not required to sound.

Cheers

Nick

13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Both your right and left-hand fingers do the muting, it's all about touch. You can release just enough pressure on a fingered note with your left hand to do your left hand muting, and muting with the right hand simply involves touching the string with whichever plucking finger is available.

14. beattycx

beattycx

Mar 14, 2006
    It's entirely possible he mutes using the side of his palm as described. The side of my hand is one part of my "muting equation", as it were, and depends on how much fretwork I'm doing.