Jaco analysis?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Ok, so I'm doing a major assignment on Jaco that have to be done on monday. I'm having a lot of help in Milkowskis book and Bobbings Portrait of Jaco. But I also need some theory - some analysis of any of Jacos compositions/solos. Since I'm in a damn hurry and pretty bad on theory myself, I rely on you guys to save my ass ;) :p

Do you know about any online resources that delivers this? Currently I have sheets on Teen Town and Havona. Those two would obviously be good choices. But all I know about them is that Teen Town got alot of 13s, and that Jaco quotes Rites of Spring in the Havona solo. If you got some other things to point out about those songs (or anyone else) I'll be forever grateful :)
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This'll be a big help:

Just make sure you don't directly copy the text. Here in the USA at least, teachers use the internet to check for plaigiarism.

"Teen Town" is all 13th chords - it imparts a sort of tropical flavor while retaining some mystery.

I don't own a lot of the JP transcription books, but the ones I've seen do have pretty involved analysis. No help for you right now, but good future reference for someone else reading this.
  3. You are officially responsible for saving my ass. Thanks alot! And no, my bad translation to Norwegian will never be a direct copy....:)
    And btw, I'd advice anyone with interest for Jaco to check out the "early years forum" at jacopastorius.com
    It got Bob Bobbings and some of Jacos old friends hanging around answering questions. I've also seen Victor Bailey around.

Thanks again - more of the same will be recieved with much happiness:)
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There are a couple of Jaco transcription books published by Hal Leonard. One book is dedicated to analysis of a number of Jaco's solos - sounds like what you're looking for.

You may not have time to get a copy before tomorrow though.
  5. You don't got a PDF - version of that book, do you? :)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got the book "Portrait of Jaco" (Hal Leonard) - which does indeed have analysis of a large number of Jaco's solos.
  7. I should have bought that book a couple of months ago:)
    Well, thanks anyway. I delivered the assignement today - at least with a brief analysis of Teen Town in it.