Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco and effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Sep 29, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    We all know Jaco used a phrase looper of some sort for his fantastic solo stuff. But what about other things. I came across a Jaco transcription and above the staff it noted - ocatver used -

I about fell out of my seat. I was always under the impression "Jaco used 2 fingers a cable and an amp".

What other stuff did Jaco use? I know he has a big fan of Jimmie so I guess it would be fitting that Jaco at least tried some stompboxes.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Acoustic amp he used had a built-in fuzz IIRC.

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I've always drool over the Acoustic preamp clone.

Any idea what Octaver he used or even the looper? I have heard somelines that sound like he has some chorus/phaser on - maybe it was post processing stuff - I don't know!!

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I am not sure about the octaver, but chances are, due to the chronology, it was a Boss.

Jaco did not use a "Looper" per se; digital looping technology was really in its infancy, if that, back in his day. But, I believe he used an old MXR Digital delay (one of those big monsters) which had infinite delay and hold features. If you listen to the looping he did they were all short phrases to which he layered harmonically.

Nonetheless, Jaco did, in his own way, pave the way for future bass loopists.

He did make ample use of the (Acoustic) amp overdrive, and may have dabbled with other pedals, but for the most part his tone was in his hands (I know it has been said too many times before!).

Playing a fretless certainly helps in this way, as the natural response, tone and dynamics of a fretless allow for a lot of creative "manual" effecting of the tone.

Max

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    maxvalentino

You are right on the money. From Fender's players club site they list Jaco as using a Boss Octaver, an MXR digital delay and of course the fuzz that was built into the Acoustic 360 amp.