Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco and Manring Funky Muting Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Garage, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I want learn more about that warm, funky, staccato type plucking technique that Pastorius, Manring, any many other great players do. Are there any books or videos where they explain this technique? I already have the Modern Electric bass DVD.

Thank you!

2. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    I'd be interesed in this too, lacking the books or DVDs that might cover this could we just discuss it here? I assume if you are playing on one string at least what I have been trying to do is place the finger I am not picking with on the string quickly after I have played the note and not by lifting the left hand off the fret but I have not really been able to achieve the Jaco sound yet either, other thoughts?

3. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I have been doing that myself, and also working my way trough Jaco's lessons from the DVD, and that has helped a lot.

But im still not quite sure how to play dead notes and ghost notes.

Do you know?

4. Place a finger of your fretting hand on a string, but don't press down to fret it, then pluck/pick the string, the resulting "thud" is a dead note.

5. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
  6. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Big thanks to both of you! I’m sure this will help me on my way.

:)

7. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    The ghost noting is pretty straight forward. Muting is a bit more complicated and requires more practice.

I'm learning a lot more about this quick muting technique lately though. It seems to me its really mostly in your right hand technique. When you normally pluck, you just hit the string, it plays the note and you move on.

Well Jaco and other guys kind of play with their plucking hand a little tighter I guess you could say. When they place a finger on a string as they prepare to pluck it, they quickly pause and then pluck. So when you are playing multiple notes on a certain string, you get this quick pause in between the notes.In a nutshell, you pluck a note with your middle finger, then place your index on the string, hold for a second, then pluck the note with your index. Go back and for and you get the muting.

Im not so great at it to be able to do this across multiple strings real fast yet but im getting better at it. Ive just basically been learning by playing some of Geddy Lee's basslines from Power Windows. Songs such as Marathon and Territories are good examples. They arent as difficult as some of Jaco's stuff, which makes them a great place to start.

8. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    if you want to try more ghost notes check out the gary willis video and Rocco prestia as well.

9. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks guys!

I will take my time with those videos and the Rush songs you mentioned!

BTW
    Rush rules!!!!!

:)

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

i thought that could be acchieved just by fretting and "unfretting" each note while you play it

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Does anyone think that equipment/EQ/compression also plays into/enhances these techniques? I think you need a mid-range heavy tone for it to really burp out at you.

12. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    yes...thats it and thats all you need....left hand and right hand coordination...as soon as its plucked the fretting finger is quickly coming off but damping all the way. No eq or anything elese for that matter will help you ...its just you and your bass. Jaco just plugged straight in DI for quite a few of his recordings.

now the real trick is to get each of those stacatto notes flipping out at regular intervals machine gun style real real quick...still havent got there yet.:bassist:

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the explanation zazz.

14. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005

Damping...........what does that mean? Looked it up in the dictionary, and it was explained as slightly wet?

:oops:

15. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    well you can take your finger off the ringing string real slow so it just stops ringing ......or you can take your finger off the string real quick so its still rings. Now the art is to take your finger off real quick but not too quick to leave it ringing...its a fine line but it can be done.:bassist:

16. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Ok, thanks for explaining Zazz. I will try it out when I get home from work.

17. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    also try plucking almost on the bridge with the tone rolled off...thats where you can get real speed without allowing the strings to over vibrate and hamper quick movement of plucking fingers...preferably two.:bassist: