1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaco and Rocco .... 3 fingers or 2 ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tyler Dupont, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

For stuff like Teen town - Jaco and funk the dumb stuff - tower of power(16ths).. are they using 3 fingers to pluck or are they just really fast and precise with 2 ? I can't make it sound right with 2 fingers and I'm wondering if I just suck or this style of playing is usually done with 3 fingers.

2. I know that Rocco told Bass Player that he uses two, which makes a line like "What Is Hip?" that much cooler. I'm not sure about Jaco.

3. Jaco used two, but sat the others on the strings as a muting device for strings not being used.

4. BTW, dont feel bad about Rocco lines, it took me 6 weeks to learn What Is Hip?, and 5 of those weeks were trying to get those 1/16s totally smooth.

5. Heh, Marty, have you ever tried to learn "Animate," by Rush? GAH! Straight 16th notes at 120bpm--with fingers! Getting the timing right is punishingly difficult.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Loop-
    ...I've been there; I tried "Teen Town" back in the '70s & put it away until the '90s.
    What really helped me-
    I think it was either a Dave Larue &/or Mark Egan column in a long past Bass Player mag...the lessons dealt with strict alternation bewteen the two plucking fingers. In these lessons, the fretting hand merely muted the strings while the plucking fingers alternated 1-2; 1-2; 1-2 etc AND 2-1; 2-1; 2-1, etc.
    What you do is play strict 1/8th notes on say, the "E", then the "A", up to "G" AND then back down ("G" to "E").
    It is usually more difficult in keeping the strict alternation (1-2 and 2-1)coming back down("G" down to "E"). Knowing that, ya gotta pay attention! ;)

Later, certain rhythms were introduced-
    Example: You play a triplet on the "E"(3 notes) followed by 1/8th notes on the "A". What this accomplishes-
    Since it's an ODD grouping(5 notes), it changes the lead finger mid-bar. That is-
    Beat 1 = 1-2-1
    Beat 2 = 2-1
    Beat 3 = 2-1-2
    Beat 4 = 1-2
    See how Beat 1's triplet plucking pattern is mirrored in Beat 3's triplet plucking pattern?
    Same with Beat 2's & Beat 4's pattern.

Granted, this kinda stuff is BORING; I usually do a lotta this sorta stuff in front of the tube while the NFL or the NHL is happenin'.

...and think economy of motion, too. The plucking fingers should flutter like a hummingbird's wings when attempting somethink like "Teen Town". ;)

7. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah like said I think they used 2 fingers. 3 fingers seem like its manely for triplet action.

And Jim thanks for puting that lesson thing Im definently gonna try that out.

8. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

1 word ..... DOH!

thanks guys ... I guess I need to go practise.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I play with three fingers. It is one of those techniques which over time makes your playing evolve in different ways. I find that I have more right hand control now. YMMV.

10. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    i also play with three fingers all the time - it took me a while to get it good and even but i now have far more control than i used to and am far more happy with it
    seeya
    Dermot