Jaco books, which one?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I was at the music store today, and while scrolling through the books, I encountered a lot of books about Jaco and his techniques (quite obviously)...
    I'm considering buying a Jaco book, although I don't know which one to take, some many of them...

If any of you guys could give some titles of Jaco technique books that are recomendable, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    As far as books, I do not know enough about them, but I would suggest getting his video. Jaco is not in the best condition, but he does explain most of his techniques and you can watch him use them.

Hope this helps.
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    As retarded as it may sound, I don't have a VHS player, nor a DVD player (which is quite a shame since there are so many great music dvd's out there nowadays)..so that kinda rules out the video option. Thanks anyway.

Suggestions? Anyone?
  4. I just picked up a Hal Leonard "Bass Signature Licks-Jaco Pastorius" Its all in TAB and has a CD with it, and its basically a song by song study of some of Jaco's best stuff! (15 songs) and a study of his gear and setup, etc...
    $22.95 - What a bargain!
  5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I have Hal Leonard's The Essential Jaco Pastorius. It's basically a bunch of transcriptions, 16 songs. Unfortunately it's in notation and the tempting tab. However, the tab does not always give you the easiest way to play the lines, and I've found numerous small, but important mistakes within it (that F# instead of G# in Teen Town really threw me for a loop, until I heard the discrepancy and then looked at the notation to confirm my suspicions). That taught me to always look at the notation instead.