Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco....Cornflakes?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hateater, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    In my Jeff Berlin video, i noticed that Jaco was using a cutout from a kellogs cornflakes cereal box for a pickguard. This is the only time i have ever seen his bass with a pickguard even. Could it be that he is not playing his own bass? Someone help me with some answers please!!!

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Years ago, that prompted me to make my Marylin Monroe pickguard! I don't know where, but I've heard that Jaco did things like this to his basses from time to time as he started wigging, (the Berlin video was shot when he was coming out of a 'down' time)...

-robert

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've heard some folklore that the bass was borrowed from a BIT staffer or student.

4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    How would i go about doing this with a p-bass? Couldn't I just take a cutout traced from the pg and glue it onto the pg itself?

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would make (or buy) a clear pickguard and place the cardboard or paper artwork underneath it. Otherwise the artwork would be damaged from your fingers or pick.

JD

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes! Please tell me how I can incorporate cereal boxes into my bass just like Jaco!! :spit:

brad cook

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Sorry Brad- you must think that I am a huge Jaco follower or something. I just think that it looked neat, and was wondering if I could learn a little more about it. I had never seen this done before, and I really could care less who's bass it it was on.

Thanks for your help!:spit:

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :spit: :spit: :spit: and :ninja:! So there, you cornflake!

brad cook

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.