1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaco Film: It's Finally Happening.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I haven't been on these forums in a LONG time. Just kinda drifted away, you know. But I stumbled across something on Facebook the other day and I said, "the guys at TalkBass NEED to know about this!"
    I did a few forum searches on here to see if it was already posted, but I couldn't find anything about this.
    At long last, our dreams have come true. And guess who got involved to help?

Some of you may remember a while back when the good Robert Trujillo helped Pastorius family reclaim Jaco's legendary "Bass of Doom", but here's the story on that too:
    http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=53

And he's at it again. This time Mr. Trujillo helped finance/produce a full-length biographical documentary on Jaco Pastorius, which should be released this Fall.
    http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=533

Here's the Facebook page for the film. They don't have much more information, but you can see some production photos and chat with other Jaco fans if you like :)

http://www.facebook.com/JacoTheFilm

Judging by the list of names in the description and some of the photos, they have a hell of a list of interviewees and fellow bassists making appearances in the film. I can't wait. Needless to say, this is awesome.
    :hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist:

2. Really nobody cares? Sorry for the double post, but unless this was already discussed I thought it would attract some attention.

3. I care. And I'm not into Jacos music at all.

Would love to see his bio - he was a genius.

4. It's been on facebook for months, so the word's been out for a while, maybe that's why the quiet thread- BUT it's great to see the info all gathered in one place here. Well done.

Additionally, this doc is supposedly setting the stage and re-establishing Jaco in the public's eye as a prelude for the big, much-discussed bio-pic dramatic feature-film,
    based on Bill Milkowski's book, which Robert Trujillo owns the production rights to.

5. I care. Looking forward to this.

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Yes, this is a good thing.

How can you not love a guy that goes on stage looking like he got his clothes out of Santana's dumpster, constantly tweaks with his sh**, shows the audience how to clap on 2 and 4, and plays like a wild banshee!

:bassist:

7. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Hoping to be able to see this in a theatre. I know with another niche-type documentary movie I was interested in, there was a link you could click to request it to show in your area. I'm hoping they add that to the trailer/promo. That would be a fun field trip :)

Has anyone purchased the "Portrait of Jaco" CD they posted on film's wall? It looks interesting.
    A few years ago a friend gave my daughter a copy of his entire Jaco collection...it was like passing the torch...he had to be sure she understood the importance! She's been hooked ever since. Really amazing material in there, but I think this CD may have some different things and the booklet that goes with it sounds great too.

That's a great article about the rescue of the "Bass of Doom"...I wish the whole story behind it's disappearance would come out. I once tracked down the story of a Civil War sword that my uncle found in his storage space in the early 2000s...it had been there since the 1920's and it wasn't tied to anyone in our family...it actually turned out to be a very sad, but interesting story...So maybe there's hope that someone will tell the tale someday!!

8. I'm pretty sure the bass was simply stolen. At the time Jaco was unfortunately living on the street in NYC and I'm pretty sure someone just took it while he was sleeping or something like that.
    It resurfaced in a music shop not too long ago, I'm pretty sure still in NYC. I don't know the specific details of how the Pastorius family found it and verified that it was his, but it's back.

As for Portrait of Jaco, I've heard mostly good reviews. There's a good deal of talking/interview material on there, which I think can be annoying to some listeners. But there's also a lot of very early and rare recordings which make up for it.
    Honestly, I could kick myself for not hearing it yet. It's been available for years and I never bothered getting a copy :rollno:

9. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I think the whole thing is awesome! From everything Robert Trujillo has done and what he is doing, to the film that is being made. Jaco is a huge inspiration and I can't wait to get a copy of the DVD! If I had seen your post when you posted it I would have responded.......I think a lot of people are definitely interested.