Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jaco, four of five

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thrakster, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Thrakster

Thrakster

Jun 14, 2000
    anyone know what bass he used on Havona, especially that one bar riff
    (you know the one)

the reason i am asking is because it is a doddle on a five but hell itself on a four

did five strings even exist then?

someone educate me [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jaco always played a Fretless Jazz with W.R.

I think that 5 strings were already a concept by that time and people were starting to build them, but nothing major.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...not sure, but MAYBE Jimmy Johnson was playing an Alembic 5 in the latter '70s.
    We already discussed "Havona" in a thread dedicated entirely to that tune; my take is to play some ghosted notes to pull off the needed shift at tempo(ie keep one's plucking hand in the 1/16 note feel while shifting with one's fretting hand).
    ...and I still can't play it!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty sure Jimmy was "using" by the early 80's on the Flim & the BB's stuff. I don't recall seeing a real five at a store until about 1981 or 82. Anthony Jackson had already been using a six for while by then.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "OK"...found it; GUITAR PLAYER mag, May '89(Hendrix cover)has a feature on Jimmy Johnson.

First question-
    GP-"You were among the first 5-string bassists.
    JJ-"Yeah, I got my first one in '76; unfortunately, it was stolen out of Alan Holdsworth's truck a year-and-a-half ago. Anyway, the idea came from my dad, because all the orchestral basses have extensions that allow you to go down to low C.
    ...so I got in touch with Alembic, who was making 5-string basses, but with the high string on top, rather than the low one. Nobody had asked for a low B. I got in touch with GHS & asked for their largest gauge; it was basically a huge E string a .120. I'm using .125 now. Some guys use really huge ones, like a .140."

BTW-
    Don't forget Fender was already making a 5-string bass; Jamerson even played one(though very, very briefly as it sez in STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN). [​IMG]

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Jim, if you've ever played one of those early Fenders, you know how weird they were. Loooong body, short, fanned neck and sound that was a complete "blah". Any idea what rocket scientist designed it and why they stuck with that design.

I wasn't saying Flim didn't use a 5 in the 70's, I was just saying I wasn't aware of him using until the 80's [​IMG] His band was recording direct to disc back then (the first)and it was a very big deal in the audiophile world. That... and the cannon shot at the end of the 1812 Overture [​IMG] You could almost smell the gunpowder.

[This message has been edited by Brad Johnson (edited July 24, 2000).]

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    I recall seeing/having/losing an 1812 Overture cd(it may be on my copy of The Nutcracker Suite)with the warning, "Caution: Digital Cannons Are Used On This Recording blahblah".
    ...and I remember the big deal about DMP doing DDD cds.

I did play one of Fender's early 5s...what a piece of S***! What it have, about 14 frets?
    It looked more like a cheap MusicMaster than any thing else in Fender's line. There's a picture + a story of it in THE BASS BOOK(Miller Freedman Prod).

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    With the exception of Jack Bruce briefly using the famous Fender VI in the mid sixties, I don't recall anyone using anything other than a 4 string during the 60's and up to the early 70's. I can't recall ever hearing of Jaco using anything other than his beloved Fender Jazz bass for recording. Even in his later years, when he fell on tough times, I think he stuck to Fenders exclusively.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimK:
    &lt;snip&gt;I did play one of Fender's early 5s...what a piece of S***! What it have, about 14 frets?
    It looked more like a cheap MusicMaster than any thing else in Fender's line. There's a picture + a story of it in THE BASS BOOK(Miller Freedman Prod).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now see, Jim! Here I was, trying to be a bit more umm...diplomatic about the Bass V. I thought "weird" was pretty polite. Unfortunately "piece of S***! " is definitely the quickest way to sum it up. I keep saying there are very few "crap" basses, well.. here's the exception to that rule [​IMG] I had an opportunity to buy a dead mint Bazz V for about $500. I suggested they put it on eBay [​IMG]

10. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    My local bass only store has a 1966 fender five string! It's exactly what you guys have described!! ugly son of a... but I'd play it [​IMG]

11. Thrakster, on _Heavy Weather_, Jaco played his "Bass of Doom," a '62 or '63 defretted Jazz. The only player I can think of who had a low B at the time is Anthony Jackson with his contrabass.

BTW, you stole my name! I was going to be Thrakster but had to go with my AIM screen name. At least there's another King Crimson fetishist out there...*grin*