Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco...how do you pronounce it?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This has probably been covered NUMEROUS times before, but a search for "Jaco", as you can imagine, turns up a lot of results on any section of this forum, let alone the "Bassists" one.

So basically...how is it supposed to be pronounced? It looks like "jay-co" but I've always heard "jack-o" from other people. Help me out here!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was thinking about this the other day. I pernounce it jock-o but i used to say jack-o. Not sure, jock-o sounds more elegant, but i doubt its right?

3. Jahcoh Passtohreeuhss.

4. word

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jawco, providing dental reconstruction and extensive oral surgery for over 15 years.

6. "Pastorius" is a surname of Greek descent, which means the proper pronounciation of "Jaco" should be "Yaw-go"

:D

7. Jah-co

like a valley girl saying Jah, whatevurrrrr.

8. :D :D

I say 'JAWco' but regardless of the pronunciation, his bass lines will live forever and need no interpretation. I hope to meet him in the afterlife. :)

9. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Once while I was at the dentist he started asking me about Jaco while he was working on my teeth. He asked me how to pronounce Jaco, I said Jack-O but he heard Yack-O. After he was finished I didn't feel like I could bring it up without it being awkward. Bass players will never take him seriously now.

10. Jah-Co Pass-torr-e-us

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    On every live album that I've heard his name announced (even by Jaco himself) it has always been "Jaw-ko". I would think they (including Jaco) would have it right.