1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco in BS&T

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassdog, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I wonder why I can't find any recordings with Jaco in this great band. Seems curious to me. So much other BS&T out there.

2. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I don't think he is on any of their albums at all. Here's a discography that I found:

http://www.threeviews.com/jacodiscography.html

The wikipedia entry on BS&T states he was in the band in 75-76, and Bobby Colomby was the one that set the Jaco solo album in motion, but I don't see any listing of recordings from that era.

3. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I believe the confusion here is that Bobby Columby was in BS&T and had become a producer at Columbia Records. He heard Jaco and then produced his first album. Jaco was not in BS&T. However, one of my all time favorite bassists, Jim Fielder is on the first 3 or 4 albums.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

I'm not sure your correct. From what I've read Jaco was on the road with BS &T for 75 and 76 after Fielder had left the band. B S &T was a fairly early Rock band, they played at Woodstock and their most successful years were 68-72. They were well past their hay day by 75-76 (and probably playing State fairs, etc). Unless there are some bootlegs floating around out there, as far as I know there are no recordings of Jaco's stint with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Fielder was on the 1st 6 albums (No Sweat being his last). I love Fielder, too...so I mad sure I had all his BS&T albums (similar I made sure to have all Terry Kath's Chicago albums).
    Fielder's replacement, Ron McClure, is an excellent player. His stuff with Dave Liebman & Richie Bierach is top notch.

IMO, the Jaco/Mike Stern tenure in BS&T was that of road band/live settings...no studio stuff.

6. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    I read on jacopastorius.com that a (live) jam session with Jaco and other members of B,S &T was in fact recorded. But as far as I know, the tape is not even in circulation among the most avid collectors. Hopefully it will surface eventually, Jaco was just as skilled in a soul/rock/funk-setting as he was in fusion/jazz( his work with the C.C Riders proves that) and I'm sure the recording is killer.

He did however play some of their tunes with other bands. There is a commercially available recording( with Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand) where one of the tunes featured is "Go Down Gamblin", but that was in 1971 so his playing wasn't fully developed yet. It was already distinct and unique though.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
  8. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    I think the album "A Portait of Jaco" may have what you're looking for on it. It's a good compilations of tracks and interviews about how Jaco came to be the legend he is.

9. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    "Portrait Of Jaco" doesn't mention anything about Jaco's time on the road with B,S & T, nor does it include any recording-clips. But it is the holy grail for anyone curious about Jaco's background as a player, and it answers many questions about how he devoloped his chops.

10. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    I apologize if my last post came across as a bit arrogant, it was not my intention. I just wanted to point out that there's no reference to Jaco's time with B, S & T in Portrait Of Jaco.

11. The first time I became aware of Jaco was with BS&T on the Mike Douglass Show. I remember they made a big deal out of him being the best bass player in the world. I don't remember the tune they played. Always wondered if there is tape of this show laying in a vault at some TV station....

12. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    That must have been awesome! Do you remember How Jaco approached the song? Was it somewhat similar to his playing with the C.C Riders?

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There is a double live BS&T CD with Stern and Steve Khan on guitars along with McClure[who I dig].:bassist:

14. I played in a band with Jerry Fisher (BS&T's singer '72-'76) for nearly eighteen years, 1981- 1998, and we had conversation about this nearly thirty years ago.

From what I can remember was said, Jaco was in the band briefly, maybe between Fielder and McLure. I'll try to remember to ask next time I talk to "Fish".

15. This was 35 years ago. I don't really remember anything except he looked like he did on his album cover. At the time I thought the 2 best bass players in the world were myself and Stanley Clarke, so I didn't really understand what was happening. It wasn't until Heavy Weather came out that I realized.... time to practice.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Those variety shows of yore (Merv Griffins, Sonny & Cher, Ed Sullivan, Flip Wilson, Dick Cavett, etc) usually had cool musical guests. Last night I was looking at some Smothers Brothers shows.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    Thanks...got a link (so I'm not buying the wrong Live album)?. ;)

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999