Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco, Jaco , Jaco!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6-stringjazz, Jun 16, 2001.

1. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I just recently got my hands on a copy of Jaco's Word Of Mouth album and it's great ! I like it better than his self titled. And also, I was in a music store and discovered a whole butt load of Jaco stuff I had never heard of. Does any body know how many other albums have been released by him?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...unfortunately, more 'Jaco' has been issued posthumously than when he lived(same thing happened to Hendrix).
    So, it's caveat emptor: ya gotta be careful what you buy.
    Word Of Mouth is awesome; if you like that album, I'd recommend Twins(which is the FULL 2-cd set of Invitation) & The 30th Birthday Concert.
    Jaco's playing with Joni Mitchell contains some of his "best" playing(IMO).

You can do a search at www.allmusic.com
    Tom Stroud's "Jaco" site also has a complete list + his recommendations of what to pick up & what to avoid.
    There's also www.jacopastorius.com

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just got "Invitation" which has been released by Warner Brothers as "newly re-mastered". I got it because it' sthe first time I've seen it in the UK as an "official" release and not a dodgy-looking import. Oh and also it was only £6.99 which is pretty cheap for UK CDs. I am very impressed with it and I think a lot of of the playing is better than the 30th Birthday concert. I wonder what I'm missing from "Twins"? Again though, I've never seen this in the UK except as a hugely-ovepriced import.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    ...I'm holding both albums in my hand;
    hmmm, here's the additional tunes on Twins
    "Three Views Of A Secret"
    "Okonkole Y Trompa"
    "Elegant People"
    "Twins"

Shorter's "Elegant People" is nice; another decent version of "3 Views..." is always nice. Really, though, picking up Invitation "cheap" sounds good to me.
    FWIW, I really like the 'more open' & loose atmosphere on the Birthday Concert album.

Anybody know anything new regarding The Dixie Highway/Portrait Of Jaco set by Bob Bobbing?
    ...sometime this year, maybe? ;)

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've also got the reissued 'Invitation', which is part of a whole range of WB reissues in "Digipak" format (in a gatefold cover) - I payed £8.99 for it in Tower Records. A great version of 'Reza' with 'Giant Steps' in the middle - I love the really overdriven/distorted sound that Jaco uses on this tune, especially when he brings the band back into 'Reza'.

I'm with 6-stringjazz in liking 'Word of Mouth' more than 'Jaco Pastorius'.

Re 'Dixie Highway' - I think its due for an autumn release, though I'm not holding my breath. I've just been listening to a couple of tapes I have of a four-part documentary on Jaco that was on BBC Radio about two years ago. In the first episode, there are a few clips of Jaco playing in a trio with a hammond organ and drums (Woodchuck perhaps?), Tommy Strand and the Upper Hand, and Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders. The clips with the CC riders are fantastic, just a shame that they don't last long - Jaco just plays a bubbling 16th note bassline as Wayne Cochran raps between songs - apparently, getting Jaco to actually stop playing was sometimes a problem!

David

6. Patalak

Patalak Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    USA Tampa Florida
    I think word of mouth is my favourite album ever, and it actually has very little to do with the bass playing.
    I think that album contains some of the best pure music ever. It isn't bound by any catagory, it's just pure expression.
    If you don't have "Night Passage" by Weather Report, that has some of the best Jaco on it. Actually the first three tunes are the best.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Wow - so I got it for £2 cheaper at my local Borders!

Jim - I do really like the 30th Birthday concert. I think it's interesting to have both this and Invitation to compare - interesting to hear Jaco's playing and how much he improvised etc. I would like to have more like this. I am particularly interested in how he played non-repetitive basslines in a Jazz context without playing walking lines. I also have a recording on MiniDisc that I made from BBC Radio 3 of the same band at a another gig, which is pretty good - it was played on the radio as part of the documentary that David mentions - just over an hour's worth, but i'm not sure what all the tracks are, as I didn't write down a complete listing - having Invitation, I can see which tracks are which now.

8. Hey,

Do any of you guys have the "Live in Italy" CD? I've only heard "I Shot the Sheriff" but it is SWEET! The whole tune is one big groove improv. How are the other tunes?

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This is a bootleg recording and is to be avoided - same goes for the 'Live in New York' series of CDs - these always seem to turn up in major music shops (HMV, Virgin, Tower) in place of official Jaco recordings. As much I love Jaco, I would never dream of buying a bootleg album. I am content to own the authorised Jaco releases, and bide my time waiting for 'Dixie Highway' and for Sony to resurrect the project to release the masses of (unheard)Weather Report recordings (studio and live) that Joe Zawinul has saved over the years.

David

10. the other day i walked in to camelot music store and the person working there when i asked for "Jaco Pastorious" got a look on his face like a deer in headlights

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the last time I shopped at Camelot was about 10-11 years ago(?). Anyway, I'm in the mall, I figure I'll check out Living Colour's Stain album(at the time, it was brand new). To make a long story short, the clerk thought I was talking about the Wayans Brothers' show, In Living Color.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I saw in the June issue of the UK magazine "JazzWise" that Living Colour have reformed and are playing a British tour, with subsequent European and US dates. I haven't seen any dates advertised over here though?

I agree with David about the bootlegs - no money goes to the Pastorious family and anway they are supposed to be pretty poor quality and Jaco's playing was "inconsistent" at best towards the end of his career.

13. My bad! I knew that the Live in NYC series were bootlegs, but I didn't realize that Live in Italy was also a bootleg. Sorry!

14. Patalak

Patalak Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    USA Tampa Florida
    Although the NY live series are bootleg recordings, I was under the impression that a part of the proceeds went to the Pastorius family. In fact I'm certain.

15. Patalak

Patalak Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    USA Tampa Florida
    Although Jaco still sounds good on those NYC live recordings, his playing is a mere shadow of what it had been.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have a couple of the Live In NYC discs; I also have most of the "Live In Europe" discs(like Live In Italy, Stutgart Aria, etc). I have ALL the "official" releases...have had them for years. So what, I wanted to fill in the cracks with some of these "boots" UNTIL someone gets off their ass(Sony, Warner Brothers, etc)& releases the good stuff. I ain't gettin' any younger! ;)

BTW, a "forgotten" Jaco disc worth looking into is the LIVE set he did with Albert Manglesdorff & Alphonse Mouzon; bone, bass, & cans...no chords gettin' in the way(except the ones Manglesdorff pulls out of his trombone) ;)
    Jaco's tone, IMO, is a little off(maybe it's the recording), the playing, though, is happenin'.

17. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Through the wonders of illegal music trading (though is it really illegal if the music being freely gotten was illegally published?), I've listened to a couple of the songs from Live in Italy, and I must say that I was fairly impressed. That particular bootleg contains some real quality playing.

I got two CDs from the Live in NY series as gifts and I was extremely annoyed. =/ That's the way it goes with people who don't know, I suppose. *sigh* I still can't listen to them, and probably never will.

18. Exactly. That's why I thought Live in Italy was a legit album along with Invitation because the quality was impressive.

But anyways, along with most of TB, I really can't wait to hear the unreleased stuff. Hopefully there's lots of live stuff. I love hearing Jaco's live walking lines.

19. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Like on Shadows and Light, alex? I have to agree with JimK on Jaco's collaborations with Joni Mitchell. That's some of the best bass I've heard anywhere.

And yeah... let's all hitch a ride on that Dixie Highway together. ;) I don't think any of us can wait for that. Hehehe.

20. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

You are correct. As far as I know, The Pastorius family was pretty mad at the guy for selling the "Live in New York Albums" (and they had every right to be). So, he worked out an arrangment where they got either all, or a part of the money for the recordings.

Also, I would like to say that JAco plays wonderfully on the LINY albums.