Jaco Japan??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 17, 2004.

1. I found a Jaco fretted Jazz bass. It has "Jaco" inscribed on the neck plate and is 3 color sunburst with a tortoise pickguard. A very reputable guitar store in Nashville suggested it was Japanese. And that made me uneasy about the deal. However, the seller insists that it's USA. The serial # is T9000007. I'd like to have the bass. The deal in question is trading my MPG Level 5JJ to this bass. If I get it and it's Japan, then I'm stuck. Can anyone help?

I'll email pics on request.
  2. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Use the following table to determine the time period your Fender Japanese guitar was built:

T+ 6 DIGITS 1994-1995
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    As far as I know, all Jaco basses are made in the USA and none of them have a pick guard. Does the bass have replacement P-bass control knobs? That is a good hint that it is a real Jaco bass and not just a jazz with a Jaco neck plate.
    Send some pics. Razzook2@aol.com

4. It's probably Japanese. Check out www.fenderjapan.co.jp and find your way to the bass section. Fender Japan offers a Jaco bass also, almost indentical to the American one (in features anyways). By the serial number I'd assume J since no T+6 digit code applies to any American bass, much less a limited reissue. Chances are it's full Japanese, and if it's just a Japanese neck on an American Jaco body, then it loses a lot of resale value and probably isn't worth buying anyways (unless it plays like a million bucks... if so, why haven't you bought it yet? ;)).
  5. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004