Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Jazz bass reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by halfnote, Mar 12, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Does anyone have any info on these basses? I am looking for opinions as to there quality and what people are paying for them. I ran a search and haven't come up with much except for a post on the specs.

Thanks.

1/2note

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just saw the price list at www.fender.com and I find 1800$ for a Fender Jazz a bit (read: much) too steep.

Since Jaco played a regular stock Jazz, I personally(!) don't see much sense in this particular signature model except marketing.
    It won't make you play or sound like Jaco, that's for sure...

Better get a 'Super-Jazz' from Sadowsky or sth. similar...

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Rest assured that I do not harbor illusions about sounding or playing like Pastorius. I did thrill myself last night by learning the first 8 bars or so of Continuum though!

Cool looking Jazz...but $1800..holy cow.

-1/2note

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Does anyone know if the Jaco Pastorius signature model made in Japan like the Geddy Lee or MArcus Miller?
    If so I'd guess $1800 would have to be the inflated list price.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1800 is the list price. one local shop here has one last year for about 950. Also, you can get a "pre-beat up" model for about 1000 more.

just go buy a stock sunburst jazz and take the pickguard off. :D

6. I have a 'Pastorius Tribute model' (not the same as the Signature model) but didn't pay for it, so I'm not sure what they cost. If it is $1800, they could at least have patched up the dings and scratches :). What I do know is that I am not impressed by it. I also own a MIM Jazz, a Peavey Cirrus 6, and a customized Squire P fretless, and in my opinion, all 3 sound and feel better than the Pastorius. But, that's just me.

7. i have a fender sunburst mexican jazz, but when i took the pickguard off there was a circular hole drilled into it and around on of the pickups was cut away, so for it to look half decent i had to put it back on, what a crappy deal!!

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like pickguards on my Fenders, this bass never got a 2nd look from me. They are just trying to cash in on the name I suppose.

I'd much rather have a black MIJ fretless(I don't like fretlines). Throw a white moto on top and let 'er rip! :D

9. For a while there, I thought we were discussing the Pastorius models. :rolleyes:

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: Anybody know if the Pastorius family is getting money for this (or other ads with Pastorius) ?
    Probably not.
    This would be another reason for me not to buy it (apart from the fact that I don't like Fenders anyway).

11. First, the Pastorius family is getting something out it. Second, the relic Jaco model is the one. It's not just a J with a few scratches, it's a killer custom shop bass. All custom shop instruments are built by hand, that's what ya pay for. Custom shop instruments play, and sound, way better than standard instruments, there is no comparison.

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you want a fretless, get a Yamaha. It is about a 1/4 as much as that one, and In BP it was one of the highest scoring fretlesses. Also I think fender makes a cheaper fretless, you could try.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$1800 is way too much for a bolt on?

There are very nice bolt on basses that list for way more than $1800.

Pedulla, Lakland, MTD just to name a few.

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Just an opinion. I wasn't really thinking of the really high end stuff though. I heard the only reason that bolt ons were invented was to save production costs, for mass produced guitars, because that way the body could be built seperatly, but that might not be true.
    Those are all fine guitars though, and not to say the Jaco isn't. I just don't know if it is 4 times better than other fretlesses.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a signature Jaco Jass. It is the model with frets. I LOVE THIS BASS! You would never know by looking at it that it is anything other than a vintage looking Jazz bass without a pickgaurd. The grain is really nice so a pickguard would not be needed to cover it up. I got mine used in MINT condition for well under $1000 with deluxe brown case and all the regular case goodies. This bass is lighter in weight than any of the reissues or Am Standards, the finish is thin nitro-cellulose. Did I mention that I love this bass? Acoustically it has a great tone. I've done a side-by-side with a very nice '66 Jazz bass and I thought that my Jaco was as good if not better in feel and tone. And the '66 was $4000!
    Oh and I'm not what you would call a big Jaco fan. I have no pretenses of sounding or playing like Jaco. I just really liked the bass. This is not my only bass also but it's the one that I spend the most time with. Just MHO.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    one word

over-rated...ok maybe thats 2 words...Ive played them and dont see all the hype about them, I think the american deluxe and mim deluxe active jazz sound better.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I guess it's all a matter of taste. I've never found any of the other new Fenders that had the feel and playability of this one. The reissues don't even come close. This bass has the tone of the '66 Jazz that I compared it to. And at the price I paid I'm way happy. It's all a matter of one's taste. I've not seen any ratings so I'm not sure where they were over-rated. Again this is IMHO.

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have one of the Jaco production (not Custom Shop) fretless basses. It is easily one of the best Fender basses I've owned. Great tone and playability.

Is it worth the $1100 I paid for it? It is to me.

I also have 2 Pedulla Buzz basses and they are great basses also but very different from the Fender. The Jaco sounds a lot like the bass the Jaco played. The Buzz basses have a different vibe which should be expected because of the different design and materials.

Chuck

19. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    One of the local music stores has both a fretless and fretted "Jaco" signatures. Both played better and sounded better than any of the American Deluxe models I've played in the last few years. If I were in the market for a new jazz I would be looking hard at this model. They deserve a play if you're interested. To give you a frame of reference, I play a 70 Precision, a Pedulla, and a Roscoe and I was favorably impressed with the Jaco model. I wouldn't think it would appeal to slappers or low tuners though. It's very vintage sounding but tight on the bottom end.