1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco, Joni and Friends

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MustangWally, Jan 19, 2021.

1. MustangWally

MustangWally

Feb 5, 2019
    Houston TX
    I just ran across this gem - the very fabulous Joni backed by Jaco, Pat Metheny and other luminaries of the era. There is a Jaco solo and a lot of good solid musicianship on display here, as well as one of the best live mixes that I have heard in a while and certainly one of the best I have heard on a live youtube video.

The first YT comment sums it all up and the second comment has the setlist with links. Enjoy.

Recorded at the Santa Barbara County Bowl in September 1979 on the Mingus tour. Actually the comments are worth reading though too.

2. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I know Miles Of Aisles, from that era, very well. I thinks is a wonderful set, (but) IMHO, some members of the band are just too deep into the kind of ‘electric jazz fusion’ that was so popular at the time.
    Some would call it ‘wanking around’, but I wouldn’t...I just think that (some of) the solos redirect attention away from the guts of the songs. They (the songs) are strong enough to be pushed, and pulled, and ‘fusioned’, but some of the playing feels more like tearing than pushing or pulling.
    I came away Not impressed with the LA Express.

This Record, Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter, released almost 3 years after Miles Of Aisles, is a Desert Isle record for me.

I believe that this is Jaco at the pinnacle of his power...the ‘best’ record he ever made... :)

...and 3 years after That...came Shadows And Light!
    ...a Much better Live album than Miles Of Aisles (IMHO), due in Large Part to the Joni/Jaco/Don Alias triumvirate...and, Great Gawd Awmighty, The Persuasions
    hit it Outa The Santa Barbara Bowl!!

(gotta go listen to it Right Now!) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Mr_Moo and kesslari like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021