1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco Movie...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ironrat, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I think that James Franco can be the actor who represents Jaco.

Have any of you has seen Pineapple Express????
    He looks like Jaco!!!

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    UPS!!!!! Wrong forum....can any admin move this to Bassists forum? Thanks!

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    He kind of looks like Jaco.

4. O.K., where is the humor???

5. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I think you may be on too something. Jaco was such a great character. I think people outside of bass could relate to his story. I'm calling Hollywood right now!!!! :)

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Johnny Depp as Jaco!

7. Would be cool. Or an indie actor no one knows about to symbolize the lack of cred us bass players get. Plus, it'll make a better/cheaper movie and expose some unheard of talent! I'd love a Jaco movie.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I vote for Jeff Goldblum.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I think it goes one of two ways:

Johnny Depp - he is a big enough star that he could get the movie made

Unknown (read: inexpensive) - if the script is strong - someone might take a chance producing it and if the performances are strong then it would probably make money.

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    One of my buddies knew a guy who saw Jaco toward the end there, when he wasn't doing too good, he had a basketball that he would bring with him, dribbling, and he recollected watching Jaco walk off into the night dribbling his basketball... true story.

11. A few months ago, i was reading the Bill Milkowski biography, and a man asked me who i was reading about... after he saw a few pictures, the guy told me EXACTLY that.
    Jaco looks just like James Franko from Pineapple Express.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Perfect match.

Good observation, OP. :bassist:

13. Oooooor..... James Franco in Pineapple Express looks just like Jaco.

14. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Forget Johnny Depp, James Franco is THE man if that movie will ever get done! See?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just imagine him holding a bass in this picture.
    Pineapple-Express-pineapple-express-2012081-1280-1024.

15. froglips

froglips

Feb 9, 2009
    Arizona
    Mel Brooks should play Jaco in his elderly years though!:p

16. I know how it ends :crying:

17. If it gets made it will be one of those poor attempts like: "High Roller: the Stu Ungar Story" most likely done on the cheap, driven by a writer/director and a "name" actor who were really into the subject matter. (Sadly that requires an actor/musician like Keanu or such) For those that don't know Stu Ungar, he was the "Jaco" of Poker: Best at what he did, and dead at 35 under suspicious circumstances from a life of excess.

18. he does look just like him!

one problem tho.. how is james franco gonna learn to play bass like jaco?? i mean it's easy enough for jamie foxx to learn some piano and then they can do the close in on the hands part for the complicated stuff.. that could be trickier with a bass..

and that, sir, is the perfect ending to the movie. bravo.

19. Foxx been playing piano since he was 5. Been learned his lessons haha.

Technology today, they can definitely have a "stunt bass" in there playing Jaco's lines. Have the stunt bass play and do motions, then paint Franco's face overtop his.

Check that, good example. They painted Gene Kelly's face over top David Elsewhere and like 3 other dancers' bodies.

20. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas

lmao great timing, I finally watched that movie last night since a friend of mine mentioned it and that is exactly what I was thinking the whole time!