Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco on Joni Mitchell's "Coyote"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Mar 20, 2005.

1. OMG!

I just heard Coyote by Joni Mitchell. Jaco laid down the bass on that song as well as the whole Hejira album. What an amazing line he laid down. The groove is great, the tone is killer, and those harmonics just hypnotize you.

I've loved Jaco for years, but this has just blown me away.

...Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Coyote is my favorite Jaco track. I much prefer him in the folk/pop setting. :bag:

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, probably my favorite song of his with Joni!

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Actually Jaco only played on Coyote, Hejira, Black Crow and Refuge of the roads. Max Bennett and Chuck Domanico shared the rest (Max Bennet incidentally did some stellar work on Mitchells Court and Spark album as well...different style of bassist than Jaco (of course) but a great great player none the less.

5. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I allways liked 'Black Crow", more even then 'Coyote'.
    The weird thing is, I tried to play along with that song on the cd and it seems to me that it is not played on standard tuned bass. If you tune it down one step you can play all the harmonics right away.

6. I didn't realize that all of the tracks weren't done by Jaco. My bad. Everything I've listened to thus far was excellent nonetheless. I was so hung up on Coyote that I didn't look far beyond that. Now I'm certainly gonna need to. Thanks Murf! :)

7. Check out the live version of coyote on the 'Shadows and Light' cd, Jaco is on fire.
    I personally like Refuge of the road the best of heijira, one of my fav bass songs.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Max Bennett on Tom Cat by Tom Scott & The L.A. Express(w/ Robben Ford on guitar).
    ...or listen for Bennett the next time you hear "Grazing In The Grass" by The Friends Of Distinction on your local Oldies' station.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

yeah without distracting from the jaco praise, Max Bennet has great chops and taste! Tom Scott & The L.A. Express is really good I didn't realize that Max was on it. Or is he only on that one tune?

10. He's on all of the cuts on Tom Cat.

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool, robben ford aint too shabby either.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Another Max fan here! There are a few L.A.Express albums with him on it....very nice grooves :bassist:

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think Bennett is on all the L.A. Express albums(a total of 3?).

Still on a tangent-
    For me, Tom Cat was one of those early albums I bought outta the Rock/Funk things I usually bought. "Rocket Island Rocket", "Good Evening Mr. & Mrs. America & All The Ships At Sea", "Day Way", "Refried", & "Tom Cat" were all must-learns for me.
    A lot 'easier' than trying to cop "Coyote"!
    ;)

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I guess there are a couple more albums I need to get.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Amen!!! Joni's Miles of Aisles had the whole Express band on it. Max & the late great John Gurin<sp> where a great rhythm section.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Damn, forgot about that one, Jerry!
    For some reason, I never got around to getting it!
    ...didn't realize Guerin had left us.

J-Raj...Tom Cat is propbaly available; the other two, TMK, never made it to cd.
    The 1st one has a hottie wearing low-cut jeans with an LA Express belt buckle. Joe Sample is playing keys on it.
    The 3rd one, IIRC, is called Shadow Play. Joni Mitchell did the artwork for the cover...Tom Scott is gone; David Luell, who sounds exactly like a Scott-clone. is on horn with Bennett, Guerin, Ford, & Victor Feldman on keys.

17. Since this thread is pretty well hijacked, I must say that I dig Larry Nash's Rhodes solo on "Rock Island Rocket" and yes, J-Raj, Ford is no slouch either.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I love that solo, too.
    ...and I don't believe I have heard anything else with Larry Nash.

19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you like Hejira check out Joni's Don Juan's Reckless Daughter

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Hejira" was actually my first time hearing Jaco. I actually was wondering what the instrument was it didn't even sound like a bass :eek:

Max Bennett was a first call bassist in LA for years, right up there with Carol Kaye and Joe Osborne. Funny he's not better known.

He can also be heard with Zappa, the Crusaders, Beach Boys, Sinatra, Streisand, Steely Dan, etc.

Max's web site (with sound clips):
    http://maxbennett.com/