1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaco Pastorius Big Band-The Word is Out

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Apr 28, 2006.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Does anyone else have this CD? I picked it up today. I like the takes on the tunes along with hearing some of the tunes that weren't recorded before.

Any thoughts?

BTW-i did a search and only found stuff on the Word of Mouth Revisited CD.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall at least two other threads on this disc...anyway, I like this one a little better than the first-
    Wooten's groove in 11 is bad, glad Jaco's version of "Reza" was included.

3. I really love Otiel's intro to 3 views of a secret and then river people. I wish they would get some new faces in on bass though it seems to be the same guys. People like Manring and Gary Willis who have both obviously been effected so much by him. It really suprised me that Michael wasn't on either cd considering he took lessons from Jaco.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I think we talked about it before.....but anyway....I dig it!!
    I think everybody plays great, some stand outs for me where Richard Bona, Gerald Veasley, Jimmy Haslip and Victor grooving the sh$t out of Beaver Patrol! People talking smack about Victor not being able to groove should check that one out.

5. HUGE BUMP for this album - I know it's been out for a little while - and as much as the first one had more bassists on it I really love this one - Wooten is outstanding on Beaver Patrol - I still can't figure out the time signature at the start but I can play the riff (go figure!). But Bona also plays great on Blackbird, Oteil's solo into on 3 Views is amazing and both Veasley and Haslip are on incredilble form as well - Jaco sound fantastic as well!

Anyway I love it - wonderful performances by the big band as well - d Calle on soprano sax is killing!

My advice - buy it....

M

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Beaver Patrol" is in 11.
    Since I won't/can't count that high...it's 4 + 4 + 3.
    ;)

Still trying to talk the bums I'm playing with into doing "Reza".

7. I did suss it was around that as I started counting it out and found the odd bar worked with a three count - it's a great riff - I think it may have be transcribed and added to my jazz band's set...

8. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It is a good album. Really like Bona's and Haslip's playing on this one. Wooten grooves hard too. I do, however, think that I prefer the actual songs from the earlier album, although the playing on the new one is as good.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I like it far better then the first album, for me the killer was Sirabhorn and Three Views of a Secret. Their didn't seem to be as much wanking on this album and I felt the band arrangements and other solo's (sax and guitar) were much stronger.

10. I'll add to that, that's it's also great to hear some lesser known tunes by Jaco / Graves' arrangements - 'Beaver Patrol' was a new one on me and I love it - Otiel's little bit is so beautiful - it puts so many other solo bass sections in the shade it's lovely. I think it's actually a better - more cohesive - album than the other one that was much more about showcasing all the 'superchops' players - Bona though didn't get a solo at all on the previous one - he's on three tracks on this one. Nails em all.

M

11. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

+1 i love this album

Dave