Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius' Live in New York series

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 5intheface, Mar 5, 2005.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I really want to get some of these, but the price of the bootlegs kind of makes me shy away. That, and the fact you can't find them anywhere! If a record store even has Jaco, it's always just his debut, that ****ty tribute album Revisted or whatever, and maybe Word of mouth or Invitation, which I already own all of those.

Jaco was so f'n good, but left with so little it's tragic.....so I don't care if these recordings aren't professional quality, or they aren't "up to snuff" (matter of opinion, the stuff I've heard from them is pretty damn good) I'd like to get ahold of some. So is there a good downloading site that's safe and I could pick 'n choose the ones I want? I'm more interested in his tracks like Dear Prudence than a thirtieth version of teen town that I already heard a thousand times. And I always like to hear his differant orchestrations of 3 views, the Chicken, and Liberty City.

So enough of my babbeling, and thanks in advance to anyone who does...

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Check Amazon, including the used section, I got mine at Borders. But I by a lot of used CD's on line. The quality is deffinently iffy, Sometimes the playings great and the Mix is lousy and there are other times you wish they would turn Jaco down! This was Jaco's Last days, Kinda sad really He's still playing great but not so consistant, way better then me ! But if you've ever read his life story it will give you a different perspective on that latter work. It's a must read for perspectives sake.

3. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Yeah, I read his biography and I don't care. It's not like Miles, who left us with a literal TON of recordings to enjoy....I'll take whatever Jaco I can get....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would prefer everything he did with Weather Report and Joni Mitchell (live albums and studio) , plus the Birthday Concert - to those live albums!! :meh:

5. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bruce, I am with your on this one, those later albums have there moments, like Jaco's version of Zwainals "Mercy,mercy", but there are spots on those CD's where Jaco will come in early, realized he made a mistake and drop out. I listened again last week to one and I always get the uneasy feeling that I'm straining my neck in traffic to see a car wreck with those CD's. 5intheface, If you don't have, deffinently get "Heavy Weather" Weather Report and "Mingus" and "Shadows and light" by Joni Mitchell also "Bright size life" by Pat Metheny. In fact Bright may be one of the best CDs ever! Two brilliant players at the beginning of there careers. I've got all the bootlegs, plus Punk Jazz and Even the Brian Melvin thing but the three I mentioned are far better stuff.

6. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Punk Jazz album is basically Word of Mouth with a few cool extras. I would buy it for someone as a gift and borrow it to rip the good tracks off of, but wouldn't drop $30 for a cd I essentially already have.

I already have Heavy Weather (who doesn't really?) as well as Live and Unreleased, and plan on getting Black Market and 8:30 soon. I have a few tracks from Bright Size Life (it is very good) and I just the Shadows and Light DVD from the library and I don't like it too much. It has some moments (Namely Jaco's and Pat's Solos and Dry Cleaner from Des Moines) but the DVD itself drives me nuts because I'm not a big Joni Mitchell fan (her band was awesome though, All-star) and all the stupid cut scene crap of literally what's in the song that isn't artistic at all. It's dumb and I want to watch these guys play, not some Doofus and Joni iceskate dammit...

So I am aware of his outside projects, it's just I'd really like some of those New York recordings if I could pick out from each album the good ones. So, again, anyone know of the best downloading place to get those?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and Jaco's album with Albert Manglesdorff(& Alphonse Mouzon).
    I think I have recently seen Trilouge somewhere online...it's not cheap, though.

I may heve 3 of the Live In NYC discs; I recall buying the 1st 2 about 30 minutes before boarding a bus. I figuredthis is great, "...I'm gonna listen to these discs over & over for the the next 5 hours". Honestly, I was left a little more than sad with both the playing & recording quality.
    The one with Mike Stern(Vol. 5? Has a "Blue" cover) is a little better.

In a perfect world, these discs would be the ****. Jaco woulda excelled in this jam/free environment...doing the classic Rock/Soul tunes he grew up playing in a small combo.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I love that album... wished they got more microtonal though... :smug:

Ditmas/Metheny/Bley 'Jaco' album is pretty cool too. Have y'all heard that album with the cat from Mott the Hoople and Jaco? Any good?

The NYC live series gets close to a real rough time in his life... The Nussbaum/Slagle/Stern one is my favorite ('Moodswings'!). Adam Nussbaum used to play in a 5et with a bass teacher I took lessons from, so I gravitated towards that one, once I saw the personel.

9. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I already have Heavy Weather (who doesn't really?) as well as Live and Unreleased, and plan on getting Black Market and 8:30 soon. I have a few tracks from Bright Size Life (it is very good) and I just the Shadows and Light DVD from the library and I don't like it too much. It has some moments (Namely Jaco's and Pat's Solos and Dry Cleaner from Des Moines) but the DVD itself drives me nuts because I'm not a big Joni Mitchell fan (her band was awesome though, All-star) and all the stupid cut scene crap of literally what's in the song that isn't artistic at all. It's dumb and I want to watch these guys play, not some Doofus and Joni iceskate dammit...

I agree on the Joni Mitchell DVD. Why is it that every cinematography student who gets his hand on a camera and makes a concert DVD have to switch to some neato special effects thing durring the bass solo! I saw that band live , one of my best concert experiences, but that DVD has made me hesitant to buy any concert DVD's scince. When I go to a concert I watch THE BASS PLAYER, a good DVD would have just shown Jaco from the waiste up the whole concert. Seriously, none of the players got good treatment on that disc even during Methenys solo piece the camera was on Joni more then Pat! And the Coyote running arround in the snow made me want to throw up! It was the early days of MTV, but that producer got far to cute! As far as Jaco none of the bootleg or obscure stuff is cheap, and if you want it you just half to bite the bullit and shellout the cash. As far as the Live in NY stuff, vol. 5 the one with Steve Slagel is probably the best, J-Raj was right about that one. I have the Brian Melvin thing "Standards Zone" it was Ok, Kinda cool to hear Jaco blow over some traditional tunes, in that case I don't think the rest of the bands up to snuff. Basically, I just keep my eyes open in used CD shops and on line, but you want find it all tomorrow unless you want to pay top dollar.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, yes I watched the DVD a few times, but I also have a double CD of Shadows and Light which I listen to a lot more - the bass is pretty loud and funky!! :)

If you want to see more Jaco, then there is the WR "Young and Fine Live" DVD! :)

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I still have Trilouge on vinyl,as well as all the other Jaco records including Brite size life,Joni mitchell records and Herbie hancocks MR hands.With some live Weather Report on Havana Jam double record set.

But getting back to the topic. I own all 7 of the Live in New York series and love them all. Why you ask ? Cause there
    real live recordings,drink glasses clinking and people talking in the backround give me the feeling of being right there in the club.You can smell the smoke and feel the vibe and after all that is what Jazz is all about. :)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Really? ;)
    That is a nice album I keep forgetting about...nevermind it was in the 1st 5 albums loaded into my mp3 player!
    IMO...no.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    what? is that a surprize or something? :smug: