Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius Modern Electric Bass DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 29, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Finally got me a copy of the Jaco Patorius Modern Electric Bass DVD from Amazon. Great sound quality. maybe a little too much talking between him and interviewer Jemmot, but that's OK. Alot of his unique personality and "where he's coming from musically" is shared with the viewer as he raps. I was surprised to see him playing a sunburst Jazz with a fretted maple neck.

One thing of note which was a pleasant surprise, the DVD has a "special feature track" of John Pattitucci playing Giant Steps on an electric bass, just him and a drummer. very cool!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yes it is a good DVD, I posted a detailed review of it in another thread, but I didn't touch on the extras, which I feel are pretty much just fluff.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Speaking of other stuff on the DVD...

That was true Jaco, when after the end of one jam, Jaco takes his jazz bass off and throws it (like flying a paper airplane) at the drummer. The drummer ends the song and catches the bass with his right hand as it's flying through the air over his high hat, all in a heart beat!

4. Yeah, that's kind of a scary moment. :eek:

But a great video nonetheless!

5. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    quote:
    That was true Jaco, when after the end of one jam, Jaco takes his jazz bass off and throws it (like flying a paper airplane) at the drummer. The drummer ends the song and catches the bass with his right hand as it's flying through the air over his high hat, all in a heart beat!

Hahaha! I was busting up watching this with my gf last night. She was like, "What the hell......what a nut!" And, I was like, "Yuuuuuuuuuuuup! Exactly!" I guess that was just a glimpse of some of the unex-pected things Jaco was capable of. Poor drummer, though, eh? I wonder what he was thinking.

6. Let's not get carried away here. :p

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Drummers can think?! Did I not get the memo or something? :D :confused: ;)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    That drummer is longtime badass Kenwood Dennard!
    Check out his work with Brand X/ Pat Martino...or his solo album with Marcus Miller:bassist:

9. There is however one complaint that can be mentioned... it regards the looks of Jaco... he is wearing an unbelievably ugly sweater which almost made me puke as I saw it... then again, I was very young during the 80s and can't understand the concept of fashion which existed back in the days...

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jaco was basicly living on the streets then.....I don't think fashion was a issue. He was only a few days sober when he did that video, you could tell he still had a bit of the "shakes" in the video.

11. Ok, really... so that's the reason why he is acting and looking rather strangely on that video... He is also having serious trouble recalling some parts of "Portait of Tracy"...

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, you can see a bit of the "shakes" in his fingers during some of the closeup shots of his hands.

Let's not forget, that at the time, this legendary bassist was really trying to get himself together.

13. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    What was that big ol knot on Jeremy Jemmott's forehead all about. Looks like he got knocked the funk out!.......or rather, the funk done knocked him out! Yeah!:p