Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius- Modern Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chimp, Dec 14, 2004.

1. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    im thinking about getting this dvd. is it anb instructional dvd and is it worth getting?

2. Any video or cd of this dude is worth getting

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's very sad. I've only watched bits and pieces, and that's what you get of Jaco... bits and pieces. He was really deep into his dark years. Watching him attempt to play portrait of tracy is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

You won't see Jaco do what Jaco does, it's like a "why insanity sucks" after school documentary.

4. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    is there anything to gain from it?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You get to see some form of Jaco doing stuff...

I don't know, I didn't see the whole thing, just bits and pieces. It was a bummer to me, I didn't learn too much. But like I said... bits and pieces.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you want some prime-period Jaco on DVD, a new Weather Report DVD (title: 'Young and Fine') came out last Friday: I know that it's available through www.audiophileimports.com - there's a preview clip that you can watch.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I ordered it...screw it.

Jaco's DVD is hard to watch; I may have watched it twice back in the day.

9. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Jim K in what way? Is it depressing cause of his state? Why is it hard to watch? I think i might get that Weather Report one!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Chimp...yeah it's hard because of his state. This was made in his latter years when his mental problems had really taken over. It's been a while since I've read the book but a couple of days before this video was made they got Jaco as close to normal as possible for the filming but he still was far from what he once was.

brad cook

11. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    DigMe with your avatar and my name we could take over the world! Hmm kinda sad that a bass genius like jaco ended up that way! Well i might get it another time when i have the cash to spare! For now i think i might get Weather Report DVD and the BASS EXTREMES DVD.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    chimp,

You should read the book "Jaco" Bill Milkowski. It's a fascinating read.

brad cook

13. i've never seen jaco live, but that dvd is great, even if he's wacked out on smack, he still rocks on the bass, and the prodding by the interviewer helps reveal some of his methadologies. I'd say you better know your theory though, it's not exactly a walk through. I think it's very worth the money.

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Jaco is the Mark Hoppus of Sheehan. :D.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes.
    ...and now knowing he was really close to the end here on Earth.

I agree with Brad; read Milkowski's book & be sure to check out Mary Pastorius' comments about her dad at www.jacopastorius.com
    (I'm assuming her article is still posted at that site).

MP's article is under "Features"("Daddy, Just Daddy To Me")

16. Well, I would say that the Jaco in the video is not in his prime, but since its the only instructional video by him, I say its well worth the money.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He wasn't "wacked out on smack" when he made that video. I recommend that you read the Milkowski book as well. Also read the story at the link that JimK posted.

brad cook

18. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Yeah i think i will get the book. thanks for the help guys, hopefully the weather report dvd will have a interview or two chucked in especialy with Zawinul that guy is amazing.

19. Well, I am not sure how much of the Weather Report actually contains Jaco talking.

The pulling point (for me) of the Modern Electric Bass is that you get to see him talk, not playing the tunes that you can already get from CDs. So it gives you a chance to see who he really is as a person, not as a musician.

20. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Weather Report is not my favorite band because of Jaco its my favorite band because of Zawinul and Shorter if i want Jaco i listen to the solo stuff which i think is a much better reflection of Jaco although having Jaco in Weather Report is a added bonus. With my current money i think the Weather Report would be a better choice as its not one good musician but 4 good musicians.