Jaco Pastorius & Tony Williams

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, May 6, 2003.

1. I was wondering, What CD's or recordings did Jaco do with Tony Williams. I found one song called "Para Oriente" which is a total Jam song, Great stuff. Your help would be appreciated. Peace
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he did para oriente,dark prince,and continuum, with williams and mclaughlin for the havana jam concerts. tony also plays on the tracks mr gone and punk jazz on weather report's mr gone album. im not sure if there are any other recordings on which they play together.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When Jaco did the Trio Of Doom in Cuba, the other two guys wheren't exactly too happy with Jaco's blow intake & behaviour!
  4. yeah i remember that!

Jaco was hopped up on crack and he played the song in a whole different key than what they practiced!...

but McLaughlin is good enough...he found what key he was in. ;) haha

First time i heard that, i didn't realize that happened...it sounded amazing to me. My friend still has the LP of Havana Jam. Very rare!!!
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have the vinyl on that one too! I wish they would re-release it......there is some great playing by the other bands on there....like Irakere etc.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As my e-mail address attests-
    ...I am a huge Tony/Jaco fan! ;)

I did pick up Havana Jam I & II when Audiophile Imports stocked these(kinda pricey).

IMHO, the 3 Trio Of Doom tracks are for completists only.
  7. I have'nt heard those Trio Of Doom tracks but I am a huge fan of Tony and John.That Jaco guy was'nt bad either. Tony is probably my favorite drummer of all time. I love the album with Jonas Hellborg "The Word". It is with a String Quartet(or was it Quintent), Hellborg on Acoustic Bass Guitar and Tony Williams on Drums. Great stuff
  8. :eek: I thought Tony was the guitar player, Shows what I know. Oh well atleast I know now.
  9. Another Tony Williams performance that is really interesting is Arcana with Bill Laswell, Buckethead and Pharoah Sanders. His last studio recording really. Laswell plays some great bass on it too. The Tony Williams Lifetime and especially his work with Miles Davis is where you want to start with though. Lifetime is great, except for Tony's singing but that is easily overlooked with how great the music is. Very intense too.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OMG! You have got to be kidding!
    ...let's see, if Tony is the guitarist then McLaughlin is the drummer? At least you got the bassist correct.

:p :)

The Tony Williams Lifetime(w/ McLaughlin & Larry Young) has sometimes been called the "first" Fusion band...

Check out Jackie McLean's Vertigo to hear a 17-year old Williams ripping it up...a short time afterwards, Williams is playing with Sam Rivers & then with Miles in his "2nd Great Quintet".
    Williams on Miles' Four & More/1964 Concerts + the Plugged Nickel live stuff is mindblowing.

Intense doesn't begin to measure what's happening on the Arcana disc with Derek Bailey & Laswell...

A tragic loss when Tony departed from this world due to 'routine' gall bladder surgery...