Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius Tribute Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoiNtC, Apr 1, 2003.

1. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I DID IT!! I FIXED MY GAS! (well for now :p )
    I put a down payment on the Jaco today! I'm going in to pay the rest of it off later this week and its all mine! puahahahaha :D I posted on the pit about how to get a J-Retro deluxe for it, but I'll probably keep the original in for a few weeks to get the vintage sound, although my main purpose to get this was for a fretless J active that can do stuff my P can't :D

2. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Awesome. I love that bass. Its probably the nicest fretless I've played IMO.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The Sam Ash I bought it from strung it with flats, would it be bad if I popped rounds on em? something bout ruinin the fingerboard? :bassist:

4. Standard roundwounds will chew up your fretboard a little faster, making notes buzz out in frequently played positions. Try something halfway, I just strung my fretless with SIT silencers, still pretty bright, but not quite as tough on the fretboard.

One thing to watch out for is vibrato, your fretboard will be much happier with a vibrato up & down the neck as opposed to side to side like you would on a fretted instrument.

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Did you buy it to play, or to look at? Put on it what you think will sound best. Fingerboards can be refinished/leveled/replaced.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    well what I use on my P is nickel roundwounds from d'addario should be less painful than the steel one
    I bought it to be PLAYED! but I can't afford a new fretboard every 6months :p

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I thought that the Jaco basses had a finish on the fretboards to replicate that in which was on his. If i am wrong that won't be much of a surprise but i thought that the board was coated. I don't think nickel rounds will tear up the board as much as steels would. I prefer the sound of rounds for some situations and flats for others. All depends on what you want to hear. Oh yeah-Great Bass by the Way. Thats all

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm going to pop flats on my MIA P when I finally pay off the Jaco later this week, so I'll be using the P and the Jaco together sometimes (although that's a bit too much for church gigs :p ) mmm would slapping (well actually i think the popping would moreso than the slapping) mess up the fretboard quicker? :p I'd think so.. but just checking.