Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius Tribute Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

Just curious if anyone has the Custom Shop OR regular Jaco bass? How does it play, and how much did you pay? I would love one dearly, I've got the cash but I cant justify buying it just for my insane love of Jaco.

So who's got one? Make me jealous.

Regards

LA

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I believe there's an owner or two of the CS bass here, maybe they'll check in with their comments.

Never had the pleasure of trying a CS Jaco but I own both the fretted and fretless production Artist basses. The fretted one, in particular, is as good as any Fender Jazz bass I've ever played, including vintage ones. Based on my experience, they're great instruments. They usually bring from 8 bills to 11 on ebay, depending on completeness with case, accessories, etc. and condition.

[​IMG]

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I got a production fretless, paid like... 1700$ total? including the J-Retro I put into it.. plays like a dream! Was going fretless for something different but I'm starting to get scared I might not go back... but yea I'm pretty sure you'll be happy if you got it.

4. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking for a fretless production model, have the cash, but can't find one anywhere, mail order or local retail. The Musician's Friend website used to have 4/18 as the date they would get them but they moved to 5/1, and will probably push it back again. If anyone has seen one some where, please let me know (besides eBay, I would prefer to get a new one). Thanks.

John

5. what's up with that yellow line between the bridge and bridge pup on the jaco bass? i've never seen that on any other fender.

some type of ground perhaps?

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. Grounding strip. A common feature on early sixties Jazz basses.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Just go to your local sam ash or guitar center, I'm sure if they don't have it they have the numbers to call to order you one

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why?

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Uh....because I really like that killer vintage jazz tone.....I like how Jaco manipulated that sound.......I kinda like the idea of playing the same bass as one of my heroes.....not that I actually wanna be another Jaco clone, of course.

Regards

LA

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Excellent reasons, bro. Hope you end up with one. They're killer! :cool:

11. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Man, I'm very, very jealous of yours, my friend. Still, I'm being served well by a Thumb so I cant complain too much.

Regards

LA :-*

12. I bought a Jaco tribute Fretted, found a used one at a local store.
    I am loving it!

Question for boogiebass or anyone else who has the bass:
    Does the serial number start with a T ?

I thought serial number that starts with T's were MIJ's

13. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Boohoo...! I don't have the money but if I did my sheer love for Jaco would easily justify my spending it :) Good luck with your search!

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Jaco basses do, indeed, start with T. For "Tribute," I believe.

15. I have the 7th one that was ever made.
    I don't think it makes my bass extra special, but just cool to know.. :bassist:
    It's T0000007

[​IMG]

Previous owner put the pickguard on it, and I changed the knobs to make it look like a 60's jazz..
    I still have the chrome dome knobs though..
    :D

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, Joe. :cool: Excellent basses. Enjoy.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I paid $850.00 for a mint Jaco production fretless. I love this bass. I also played a custom relic version, incredible but really expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these reissue jazz basses, they are super instruments.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    didn't jaco spend $69 on that bass? :p

(I know he modded it over the years, and yadda yadda)

19. Probably.

I heard it tore off the frets with a butter knife in his kitchen before he even bought it.

Good ole' Jaco.

20. Acctully he bought it in florida from a sax player for $90 with the frets already removed, he then brought it to his tech to fix up the board, where he told him that he defretted it with a butter knife, and filled the slots with putty.