Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Canadianbassman, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    all i hear is how good he is but i never heard of him until i come here iin tb who is he??

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  3. There we go! I was looking for that!

4. This is Jaco...

[​IMG]

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

The greatest and most innovative bassist to ever live, IMHO.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yes and he can stomp cockroaches too, apparently. :)

7. So it was a dingy club. Ever had a cockroach crawl up your pants while you were playing the bass? - Not fun! (Although I think Flea uses that technique:))

8. Gee, I don't know, Giovanni Bottesini was pretty good too. :) We just don't have any of his records to kick around - but his music speaks volumes.

9. Sure, Rob. But could he stomp cockroaches? I have a difficult time picturing him prancing around, doing the Bolero, hanging on to his double bass, doing the 'roach-stomp shuffle'. :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are loads of threads on this exact same subject in "Bassists" - wouldn't it just be easier to move it there? :rolleyes:

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Oh my, I agree with Bruce!!! Something must be off about me ;).

And two moved threads in two days...I feel so...so...so...POWERFUL...no, wait, that's not it......but it'll do for now! :D

12. There's actually a story about Bottesini opening up a narrow doorway in a theatre (that was bugging him) by hacking it open with his bow! Must have been heck of a strong stick!

13. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    A worthless drug addict that was beaten to death.

He played bass some too. Self proclaimed as the best in the world.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What's the use of this post?!?

Can't even spell 'bass' and posts bullsh!t! :mad:

No human being is worthless.

And if it's supposed to be funny - it ain't...

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Kids don't understand irony, do they? :p

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Did you know Jaco personally? If not...then you really don't know anything about him...other than what you have "heard from others".
    Jaco did indeed have problems....but he WAS the best. Yes....he would tell you so, but he could back up that claim...100%.
    What difference does it really make though? Jaco himself...would say to be the best BASS player....
    that YOU can be.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that this is in very poor taste and would be very upsetting to his children (and many other friends/family) if they read something like this. Felix is a frequent poster/reader in bass forums like this and my view is that we should show some sympathy to people with problems like manic depression, not unthinking condemnation.