Jaco played with Joni Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You'll know I'm a rookie bass player when I say that, to my knowledge, I have never heard Jaco Pastorius. I figured he was some kind of jazz / lead bass / "out in front" / featured artist kind of bass guru, and you went to see him play 128th notes with his teeth or something.

I was just reading something, and I learned that he played with "Joni Mitchell", who I have definitely heard of, and love. She is one of the few people I would call a genius. When I read this, It sounded like Eddie Van Halen playing with Bob Dylan or something. I'm gonna have to check this guy out. You would have to be a "bass player" and be able to edit your playing to complement Joni Mitchell's band, I would think.
  2. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    He played in "Shadows and Light", and "Hejira". I think some others, too, but those ones are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have the whole concert on video. There's also Pat Metheny.
    I like their Good Bye Porkpie Hat version.
  4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Don Juans Reckless Daughter, Hejira (although he's not on the whole thing), Mingus, Shadows and Light, there is much Jaco Joniing for you to dig into....
  5. yeah, i have the shadows and light video...i thought it was good...my favorite song is "amelia" (although i don't think Jaco plays on it ;) )
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    First, I heard Jaco's solo album & then the Weather Report stuff...truthfully, it was the Shadows & Light opener, "In France They Kiss On Main Street", that really floored me.
  7. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Quite honestly, I think his work with her is some of his best.

What an ass kicker...;)
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm right there with you Bob. "Coyote" has forever been my favorite Jaco cut.
  9. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  10. Just get the "Shadows And Light" DVD. The band couldn't be better....
    Joni Mitchell
    Jaco Pastorius--Bass
    Pat Metheny--Lead Guitar
    Don Alias--Drums
    Michael Brecker--Sax
    Lyle Mayes--Piano

Freakin awesome. The way the band plays together in this video is quite honestly perfect. They work together so great and the difference of sounds and tones meld together to make something truely amazing.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Download or get a hold of...

Black Crow- Joni Mitchell

Pure Genius. Jaco has this killer groove going, and he throws in these harmonics and...wow. I'm speachless.

12. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    A great song indeed! My personal favorite Joni/Jaco collaboration is "Goodbye Porkpie Hat," but "Coyote" is a close second.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Had the same effect on me. The way Jaco and Alias lock in is crazy.

I really like Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. I guess it doesn't feature that much bass, but it's a super sweet album altogether.
    Fave Joni/Jaco track? Hejira has some of Jaco's most melodic playing ever. That pretty much means some of the prettiest bass playing ever.
  15. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Mine too.
  16. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You sold me. I'll get this. I love to hear a sincere, genuine lust for the sound a group of musicians make, and that will get me to listen every time. Thanks.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The music Joni and Jaco did together is music of the gods!IMHO. The times in music when two people of the same brilliance can come together without overshadowing each other is rare.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The one that always amazed me was "The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" - so basically it's just Jaco and Joni's voice with drums and horn arrangements from Jaco himself.

But the whole song is in the bassline, which is so funky and has everything that made Jaco great, in a 3-minute tune! :)
  19. Yeah me too. That song just gets me bouncin my head and tappin my feet every time, so catchy. And I love the way that song is put together, the progression and building sound they create. Jaco and Brecker just tear it up together on that track. I especially love that line Jaco plays right near the end, the really fast one (32nd notes?), and then just kind of explodes into the ending. Awesome tune.

On a side note......I had to listen to that song about 50 times before I realized what it's about:meh:

A Warning to the Potential Buyer
    Be prepared for some extremely annoying camera work. The one thing I hate about this video (Shadows and Light) is that there are times when Jaco is just KILLING and the camera is focused on Joni strumming away with the rhythm guitar. And even more annoying is all the stupid artsy crap that got stuffed into it. Like the figure skaters, the coyote, the old-timey movie clips, the Las Vegas scenes. I just wanna see the band play, I don't care about all that crap.
    The music is all great, but the visuals can be extremely annoying IMO.