Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jaco question (warning: new at playing jaco)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Jan 2, 2001.

1. today is the first time i have played a jaco tab. and i think its going ok. but i have some questions. i was looking at his song "Birdland" and on the 3rd line on the G string it has 15/16\15/16...and so on, and it has on the D string 14/15\14/15... so on. i know i have to do both at once. but do you really slide that many notes with plucking both strings once?

and another question. on his song "Donna Lee" the 4th line has 9\\\6. is this a misprint or is this some sliding trick i dont know about yet?

thanks for your help. and i hope i did not anger someone by asking stupid questions about jaco. also, if this does not belong in general instruction feel free to move it someone else.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've never seen a Jaco tab (I imagine they're scary), but in regards to the first thing you mentioned, it is very common for Jaco to play double-stops. He would often play and slide harmonic intervals.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I finally got around to remembering what that double stop sounded like in "Birdland". The reason there's so many of those double stops TAB's out is 'cause it's similiar to what's called a "shake". While fretting/fingering both notes, move back & forth QUICKLY between the 14th/15th frets & the 15th/16th frets. Attempt to get a sound similiar to "insects buzzing"(?).

Another tune with a "shake" is "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind, & Fire. Have you heard that one?

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Do you mean some kind of weird variation on vibrato?

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...best thing I can say is listen to the tracks in question.
    A "shake", I guess, is similiar to a trill...a trill uses TWO fingers, a "shake" uses ONE.
    For "Shining Star", put your middle finger on the "E"("G" string, 9th fret)& "shake" between the "E" & "D#"...