Jaco Remembered

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by reedo35, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Just thought I'd mention that today marks the 13th Anniversary of Jacos' passing.In pace Requiesce'
    John Francis Pastorius III.
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
  3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Damn.... I didn't even remember the 21st was the anniversary. Looks like I'm a day late. :-/

Time to have a drink and throw on some of his best on the stereo in remembrance.

We love ya Jaco...
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

....nothing else can be said.....
  5. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
  6. He was beaten by a Bouncer named Luc Havan when he
    tried to force his way into The Midnight Bottle Club in Ft. Lauderdale on 12 Sept 1987. Havan claimed that he had just pushed Jaco and he fell (Hard enough to fracture his skull and dislodge his right eye from his socket(?))He was in a coma in the hospital until 21 Sept. His father held him and sang the old standard "Watch what Happens"as his life slipped away. A Tragic End :(
  7. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Here's a quote from Milkowski's book:

When they finally removed the life support, Jaco's breathing ceased but his heart continued to beat for three more hours. Jack Pastorius, [Jaco's dad] never at a loss for levity, said, "Man, I knew Jaco had good rhythm, but this is ridiculous."

Three hours! Whoa.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He completely redefined what it meant to be a bassist. The fact that any one man can so much impact on his instrument is amazing. RIP Jaco.
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know I'm a bit late, but Jaco, Your music will live on forever.

Rest In Peace
  10. at least i know when he died now. next year all have a party and just play his music.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    there is a big mega thread in the FAQ that contains that information.
  12. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    man i wish he was still living..
    He wouldn't be considered a legend just yet.. but everybody would know he was the best =D.
    I mean that in the way that.. usually when a musician dies and they are good.. they are considered a legend.. Even if they weren't the best. But Jaco was the best and still is.. so therefor.. hmm hes a legend.. but if he was still alive.. would he still be called a legend?? maybe when he was 60 or 50 or so..
    He was the best thuogh..without a doubt..
    14 and a half years =(
  13. Jaco was the man. If he were still alive and managed to kick his habbits and not get murdered, he would be a living legend. So much talent, all gone... It seems that way for most of the great bassists, dieing an early death. A lot of great musicians for that matter. Oh well...
  14. I guess its the nature of great musicians to come out of no where and touch us. Then disappear before we can truely understand what they were doing and saying, sort of like a candle that burns so brightly it burns through its wick quicker than others. The fact that he was around for such a short time makes one appreciate his music that much more.

Le roi est mort, viva le roi.