Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jaco shirt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gulice, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    I just bought myself a jaco shirt off the site. =P and i cant wait for it to get here heheheh random yes but i like it ;)

2. I'm wearing a Jaco shirt right now.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    prepare to hear "OMG what is Chris Kattan doing playing that guitar?"

4. It's kinda hard to recognize his face on this shirt.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Better a Jaco shirt with a picture of him on it than one of the ones he wore himself. That man had the worst fashion sense ever. Well, maybe not as bad as me, but bad nonetheless.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well at times he was so "out of it" that it was probably a surprise that he manged to get dressed at all - like the famous Japan story where he was discovered unconscious with an octopus in his shirt!

And at others he was so poor, that he couldn't even afford shoes! :(

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :p The octopus was hilarious... and sad at the same time :(

8. Is this mentioned in the biography on him? I haven't heard this tale before.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well in my Milkowski book it is on page 120 -121 - which biography did you read?

10. I hope that someone is writing a musically oriented Jaco bio. The Milkowski book is just downright depressing and sort of tabloid-ish. Something along the lines of the excellent Coltrane bio by Porter with a muscial analysis would be very cool. Does anyone know of anything in the works? (Besides the early years CD.)

11. Bruce Lindfield

There have been several books released recently which analyse Jaco's playing and provide transcriptions. I got "Portrait of Jaco" which has some great analysis of Jaco's solos throughout his career and I noticed it was one of a series.

But this is more along the lines of "Musical Instruction" rather than Biography. You could try the website which is run by Jaco's family for a more positive view?