Jaco Signature Bass Durability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatW, Mar 24, 2003.

1. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon

I'm looking into getting the Jaco Signature Fretless Jazz bass, but not the crazily expensive 'relic' model.

According to the Fender site the fretboard is described as follows:

I'd be looking to stick some nickel plated roundwounds on it, so does anyone have any experience with how durable this polyester finish is?

I was going to pick up an old Jazz body and get a Status graphite neck fitted to it + j-retro, etc. This would have been my 'super' fretless, but this oppotunity to get the Jaco model has fallen into my lap and I'm quite tempted. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin the retro vibe of the Jaco bass by making any modifications.

What do you think?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Have a look at a 70's Precision fretless with a maple neck. I think it's the same finish.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had one of the Jaco fretless basses and the fingerboard had no wear on it when I sold it. I played it a lot prior to that. That is my favorite Fender bass. Really sounds great.

4. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hmm. Sounds good. Now I'm compelled to ask 'why did you sell it?'
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I have had Rotosound roundwounds on my Jaco fretless for about a year and there is no damage to the board. This is a fantastic instrument. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with the other owners. I also own a Jaco Artist fretless (and the fretted one, too). Great bass and the fretless board holds up very well. I use D'Addario Prism stainless steel rounds on mine. No prob. Here's my two:

7. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Those are beautiful basses BB, I'm thinking of making that picture my desktop wallpaper!

I recently acquired a Geddy Lee Jazz that I'm heavily modifying. I'm reckoning on this being so good that it'll render my US Jazz Dlx obsolete. So I'm thinking of doing a part-ex to get another bass from my wish list. I know that I want a quality fretless at some point, and I had been thinking of building one out of spare parts (jazz body, graphite neck, dimarizos, j-retro, etc). Now I've got this trade in to consider so the Jaco bass is something to really think about.

I could sell my Dlx private, but I probably wouldn't get as good a deal as a trade in. The shop in question has offered £600 for it. That seems good to me.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
  8. FWIW, I have a '96 fretless Stingray 5 with a bare pao ferro fingerboard, and it has never had anything else than nickel roundwounds installed.
    There is only very superficial wear on the board after 6-7 years of steady playing.
  9. Oh come on, don't rain on his G.A.S. parade. :p
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The fit n' finish on the Jaco basses is a considerable step up from the MIA Jazz basses. It's closest competitor, the '62 RI is on a par, but the Jaco Artist basses play (and sound) better than the run-of-the-mill American-made J's.
  11. I never doubted that (you quoted the wrong guy ;) )
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, I quoted you on purpose. ;)
  13. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I've been down the MIA Jazz Fretless road before and I wasn't all that impressed. So I hope the Jaco model would be a significant step up.

The higher quality wood for the body, the fingerboard coating and the special finish all make it seem pretty special in my book.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If mine is any indication, I doubt you'd be disappointed, Mat. Excellent bass.
  15. gareth

Jun 9, 2002

I've got a jaco signature, absolutely pristine (unlike a relic) and it may be for sale - let me know if you are interested, I'm in Essex