Jaco/SITSOM/Tower of Power

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NJL, Apr 22, 2003.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just bought the Tower of Power release of "Oakland Zone" - it groooooves!!!

Also, warner released Punk Jazz a Jaco Pastorius Anthology - two CDs; it had a few tunes that i don't have.

Last - the two DVD set of Standing in the Shadows of Motown - have to wait until i get home to see it.

All three were released today.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I got all three too.....plus the new Headhunters with Paul Jackson & Mike Clark, and the live Jing Chi with Jimmy Haslip.....great week for funky bass stuff:bassist: Rocco sounds great! It's hard to believe had sick he was just last year.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how is the new headhunters? is it better then the other release about five or six years ago?

i'm going to check allmusic.com as well

thanks for the info, i had no idea that they released another album! :D
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm checking out the new Headhunters' disc as we speak...
    Yes, IMO, it is definitely better than the Return Of The Headhunters debacle from a couple years back.

There are, of course, the Funk tunes; there's a remake of "God Made Me Funky"(if you remember that one from one of their earlier releases).
    Some of the tunes on this new one are definitely in a Jazz vibe...especially with what the soloists are doing(guys like Donald Harrison & Nicholas Payton).

Jack Walrath(played in one of Mingus' later & best bands) contributed a couple tunes.
    All in all, a pretty decent disc so far.
    I'm happy.
    BTW, I picked this up at www.cheap-cds.com for $10.62(or so).

AI just pinged me with an e-mail.
    Damn, Jing-Chi LIVE, huh?
    ...and there's a Corea 60th Birthday set out, too!
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    All my gig money this week went to C.D.'s:cool:
    I like the new Headhunters too....has a New Orleans flavor to it.
  6. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I got these two also, with a free Temptations DVD :)

I really like the ToP but I'm disappointed by the mix (or the EQ or whatever?). The bottom end has no punch, no fatness. The bass seems pretty buried a lot of the time. The highs are crisp but it sounds kinda thin to me. But that's just me. Great tunes, anyhow. And I love the drummer. :)