Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco+slapping?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bas_anton, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Have anyone heard Jaco play slapping bass?

2. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    No...

I know that Anthony Jackson strongly opposes slapping, but I'm not sure if Jaco had a similar strong opinion about it. But I've never heard Jaco slap. I guess he didn't need it to sound cool? :D

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    On JACO'S word of mouth recording,the name of the song escapes me,but he is slapping,and its very tasteful.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jaco did a "full-palm" slap which he demonstrates on his instructional video; but I've never heard anything where he slaps with his thumb or where he does the classic slap/pop.

I think he integrated his thumb fully into his right hand technique, so he was always using this for something - I think he would have found most octave slap/pop boring/mechanical and his fingerstyle technique was far more fluid and funky anyway!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep.

6. I had the chance to be in the audience at two Jaco's concerts.

I remember only a SINGLE E string slap.
    Probably a bit of adrenaline.

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The "full palm slap" can be heard on WEATHER REPORTS' "8:30" live album. Its when Jaco is setting up his loop for the solo piece "Slang". He would mute with his left hand and whack over the pickups with the delay on to set a tempo to solo over.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw Jaco a bunch of times, and he would do the "conga" slap a few times....but no thumb on E string funk. You can hear Jaco do it on Joni's "Don
    Jaun's Reckless Daughter" Album. On the live Word of Mouth video you can see Jaco do it in one of his solos.