1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco solo from 1980 WP concert

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassLife77, Nov 23, 2010.

1. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    never heard this one before. unfreakingbelievable. The greatest who ever picked up a bass

2. That was really nice, thanx

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Ha ha, I looked at the OP's headline and for a second I thought "Jaco played with Widespread Panic?? How is that even possible??"

Thanks for posting this, always great to hear something new (to me) by the master.

4. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    oops, I meant WR. typed too fast

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Jaco is still too fidgety a player for my ears, sorry guys. I'm beginning to like that jazz bridge-pickup quack though... that is something.

To me this is music for musicians, not a paying audience. I can picture a rank of bassists at the front of the stage eagerly taking notes into little notepads.

6. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    I thought the exact same thing.

7. You picked the wrong recording to listen to, this is about as "fidgety" as I've ever heard.:hyper:

With that being said though, personally, I like this a lot.:D

8. Thanks for posting. One of the things I like about Jaco (Hendrix, etc.) is hearing something I have NEVER heard before from anyone.

9. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    One of the things I love about TB is the wide variety of tastes and approaches to music. I think Jaco is the greatest thing in the bass. But I can respect/feel your opinion.

10. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hmmm, I have never heard this, I presume that was Zawinul playing the accompaniment? It didn't sound like synth strings, and surely not like the type of string sounds JZ was using at the time ( or that were available). Anybody know what they were playing? didn't sound like a tune by either of them....more like Strauss. One thing for sure, Jaco was at the top of his game here, he is pulling things off that were not as easy for him to do a little later as his powers began to decline.
    JS

11. I am sure I am going to get some flack for this, but here goes:
    Jaco's playing style/sound never appealed much to me. I don't want to diminish his talent or contribution to the progress of electric bass playing in any way, just that he was never my cup of tea. Actually I was always more a fan of Alphonso Johnson's playing on the WR albums both contributed to. Just my $.02.

12. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Sounds like classic Jaco! I loved it!

It's is more how Jaco played with melodic phrasing and vibrato to make notes sing than what he played. But then again what he played is equally amazing as well. I didn't care for the distorted section of this solo, it did sound rather incoherent, but I liked how he returned to the funky rhythms he was so famous for!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i like this solo better:

14. This is one of my favorite Jaco solos. Too bad the sound is not so good.
    I wish I knew what performance this is from.
    jaco1.

15. Hahahahahaha Bad JimmyM. :p
    I love Jaco, but that shreds video makes me laugh every time
    . I remember the first time hearing it, and thinking...
    :eyebrow: Damn, Jaco is drunk or something. When they taped this, he was f*cked up bad. :scowl:
    And then I realized it was a gag, and then laughed my @ss off. The guy who made it is brilliant. :D

16. Alphonso was a fantastic player as well. They were not such different players. I haven't listened to this recording as I'm at work but I saw WR 3 times in London between 79-82 and they were always top totty. I could even sense at the time that I was witnessing something significant.

If you listen to "A Remark you Made" for example, the melody is hauntingly wonderful, it isn't just for musos.

I saw Zawinul shortly before he died, and whilst his playing Joe-lite, his band were absolutely phenomenal!

RIP Joe and Jaco
    Davo

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I like the short Jerry Jemmott bit right at 3:00-3:05 or so. Nice recording 'cause you can hear the bite of the stainless rounds without it being brash, even using the horrible distortion built into those old Acoustic Control heads.

John

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Gotta agree. My first exposure to both of them on the same album, I was hearing continuity. I still do. The LIVE AND UNRELEASED album further cements this for me. And if I listen back to Mysterious Traveller ferinstance, I'm hearing some commonality there too. Anyway, why hate greats? Got room for everybody, really.

Anybody got the short but interesting TRIO OF DOOM album? Tony Williams and Jaco, wow!

20. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Thanks for the link- RIP Jaco...