jaco sound w/ sansamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Jul 5, 2005.

1. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    so ive recently been getting a damn close to jaco-esque tone with my jazz bass (which i recently dusted off for the first time in a few months) and practice amp, but when i try to get that sound with my sansamp (which i always have on), i cant get it. anyone have any suggested settings?...
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Get the Fretless Sansamp.

Or epoxy coat the one you have.
  3. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    hahh ummm yeah. i can pretty much nail the sound with just a straight up amp, but i always leave my sansamp on at gigs so i thought if i can find a setting that works for that sound, i wont have to switch it on and off....
  4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    From my experience with the SansAmp, it sucks out a lot of midrange, which would make it difficult to get the Jaco sound (which is pretty mid-heavy).

Hope this helps,
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Jaco sound has more to do with playing over the bridge pickup with the bridge pickup soloed. I don't use my sansamp BDDI for Jaco or anything similar.
  6. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    yeah thats exactly how i discovered how to get that tone, but that technique w/ the sansamp doesnt sound like it at all. my world is tunred upside down! haha, a good tone that the sansamp cant do???
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Put blend on zero?
  8. Or just bypass it completely? It wouldn't hurt to switch the Sansamp off for your Jaco stuff and turn it back on afterwards, provided your levels are balanced and whatnot. I don't use my Sansamp for much anymore since I enjoy a lot of midrange in my tone. I even lowered the bass and treble on the Sansamp itself to create a relative mid boost, and boosted the mids on my active Jazz... still didn't cut through like it does going straight to my Ampeg. If you definitely need some of that Sansamp warmth, turn the blend knob to around 10 o'clock, maximum, to ensure that some of your natural (and not mid-scooped) tone seeps through.
  9. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    that sounds smart, at practice tommorrow ill have to play around with the old blend knob, never used him before haha. just when you think youre settled on a cranked sansamp and p bass tone, you discover new tricks. figures.

10. +1
  11. If you cut back the treble and the bass on the sansamp it boosts the mids
  12. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have a sansamp acoustic DI that works great for bass. Instead of distortion it gives you a sweepable midrange and I'm able to get a decent jazz bridge pup burp with it. Also every time I've tried the Sansamp in front of another preamp it sounded muddy. I like it much better into an effects loop or power amp input.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dang, there went my coffee...quit it!

14. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Trade it in for a Fulltone Bass Drive and enjoy the ride... ;)
  15. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have a sans amp that I use for a backup in case my regular amp goes down or I have 2 gigs or something. It is small and easy to carry along for a backup, but the tone just sucks! I have always been a jazz bass player and have always favored that midrangey growl, and it just doesn't happen with the sans amp. In fact last weekend my Thunderfunk took a dive on me (it's now on it's way to IL, to be fixed) and I had to use the sans amp all weekend and it was just miserable, but the bottom line is, I am thankful I had that little devil in my bag or I would have been hosed. Anyway, if that Jaco sound is what you are after, you won't find it in the sans amp, in fact it takes away that sound. So my suggestion is to sell it (should be easy, there are lot's of people who just love em') and pick up something else that will get the sound you want.

16. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    dont get me wrong, i adore the sansamp for 95% of what i do as a bass player. i just have recently discovered that bridge pickup sound and, as most of you have said, the sansamp really cant do it, so i bypass it for those tunes. fair enough.
  17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    You guys gotta try the ADI. I used it last night and was in Jaco tone heaven.
  18. Troy_E

Dec 22, 2008
    what's the ADI?
  19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Wow blast from the past

ADI = Acoustic DI

which is no longer in production and I believe has been replaced by the para DI
  20. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Cutting the lows and highs on the BDDI won't "boost" mids, but they don't get lost as much as they do when you're running the bass and treble controls up higher. But the thing is ,the BDDI notches mids, and as several have told you, those mids are the heart of Jaco's burpy tone. I'd just hit the bypass on the BDDI instead of screwing with the EQ that works for you on other sounds.

I use a BDDI, but it's another voice for me so I use it as an effect and switch it in and out for particular songs. I can't imagine me leaving it on all night.