Jaco sound!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adisu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a fender jazz bass special, which means my jazz pickup is the one closest to the bridge.
    I've been searching for threads about jaco sound around here but i couldn't find which pickups jaco used to get his unique famous sound.
    Myabe someone can tell me which pickup should i install in order to get the jaco sound.
    can i get a jaco sound with the placement of my jazz pickup near the bridge??

I learned a bit about how pickups work but except that i have no idea what so ever about pickups ????

Thanks in advance.

2. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    He had a standard fender jazz fretless. You can solo the bridge and play close to the bridge and you'll sound pretty close. Not really anything to it. His sound was in the fingers.

3. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    I see what you mean but somehow imy pickup sounds like it misses some MID frequencies compared to Jaco's sound.
    This jazz bass pickup is the original from the factory but this bass guitar is from 86 (i bought it second hand so i don't know what was the sound when the guy bought it ).

Could the pickup lose it's ability to produce some MID freq's
    because of coil or magnet's wear ???
  4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You won't get that same 'mwah' without a fretless, and that's a good portion of Jaco's sound. Have you played a fretless bass before? If not, you may be mostly chasing a sound that comes from a string vibrating against a fretless slab. If you already know what a fretless sounds like, I'd say plucking 2-3 inches from the bridge, soloing the bridge pickup, and boosting the mids somewhere around 800hz will get you most of the way there, gear-wise.

You're still going to need Jaco's hands though ;)
  5. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    The clap ,Thanx for the reply mate.
    I know how fretless sounds like, I own one but unfortunately
    It's a Ibanez SDGR and have no jazz pickup.
    My jazz bass is fretted.
    I guess i'll have to buy a fretless jazz bass in order to get my sound as close as i can to jaco's.

About the hands well got lot's of work to do to be close to have jaco's hands ;)
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I see no reason why a fretless SDGR wouldn't get you a standard Jaco tone.
    It's pretty easy to obtain on a fretless, although unusable for most people (who try nonetheless).
    Just cut highs, boost mids and you're done.
  7. The jaco sound had a lot to do with fretless. But if you listen to Birdland, you'll hear the jaco sound, and that was recorded on a fretted jazz. His pickups were stock 60s. He didn't solo the bridge pup, he just turned the neck pickup about half way. Also, he played with a really hard attach and close to the bridge. This is one where the sound was truely in his hands.
  8. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Thnaks for the tips guys i'll try it.
  9. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Adisu, what color is your bass special? I can't help you with the sound you’re looking for, but if you really like the feel of your Jazz Special, you might want to look for a fretless one then. There is a white one on eBay right now.

Anyway, I'm just a fan of those basses, so I thought I'd tap-in this post :rolleyes: (I have a pewter/greenish one)
  10. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    SamHD thanks mate but my next money investment will go to a 6 stringer bass guitar....i like Jaco's sound and i asked for advice to get close to it but my sound is good enough so the money will go for the 6 strings bass guitar.
    ;) :bassist:
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Jaco sound
    Jazz bass
    Bridge pickup-full
    Neck pickup- 25%
    A real 60's fender jazz bass would help?