1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaco Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Jul 25, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know which pedal Jaco used to get his synth sound, such as the effects he used for River People? I want to get synth sound and not sure which pedal articulates this synth sound.

Adam

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    A lot of that is Joe Zawinul's left hand on a synth. You could probably get close with an Electro-Harmonix Microsynth or one of the Roland Pedals with some judicious tweaking.
    Joe used synths by Arp (Arp 2600), Moog (Minimoog) and probably a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 by the later tenure of Jaco in the band.
    At the time of River People Jaco tended to use an MXR digital delay set as a delay or flanger/doubler and the fuzz circuit on his Acoustic 360. The rest was his fretless 62 Jazz ("the Bass of Doom") and his hands and sensibility.

3. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Roy. Yeah, I figured the majority of that tone was from Joe but I wasn't quite sure since he has a few solo's that has that same synth tone. I've checked out some micro synth pedals on youtube. Seems pretty close to the tone I'm looking for. Possibly the Moogenfooger, is another option for myself. I don't generally like effects pedals, but I think a synth would be pretty fun to ticker with on stage.

By the way, the last time we spoke was over the phone. How has everything been?

-Adam

4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The synth sound on "River People" is definitely Joe Zawinul. Jaco is doubling the line with a clean bass tone.

I have come close to this sound by using a gated fuzz pedal and a parallel clean signal, mixed 50/50.

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Hey Adam,
    Things are going great, just very busy! Finished tracking a Jazz project with Danny Gottlieb, Beth Gottlieb, Billy Contreras and Anthony Belfiglio of Anthony's tunes. We recorded at Eric Bikales' (MD for Neil Sedaka) studio for the first run and finished last night at RCA Studio B. Really, really cool to record in an historic room like that and the drums sounded great with those high ceilings!
    My Bass Camp starts Sunday, so I'm buried in planning, arranging, logistics, etc.
    Best,
    Roy

6. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone have any input on the Markbass Super Synth?

7. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Or the Soundblox Pro bass Envelope Pedal?

8. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm using the Markbass SuperSynth, and I think you might be able to get some Zawinul left-hand tones out of it. It's a complicated pedal, so unless you're a knob-tweaker (or, in this case, a software tweaker- the parameters can only be edited via the free software), it might not be for you, but the flexibility and quality of the sounds are pretty great.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Somewhat OT, but did Zawinul ever actually use a Minimoog?
    I know he's best known for using a pair of ARP 2600s, an ARP Quadra, and an Oberheim modular 4-voice (or perhaps 8-voice?). He also used an ARP/Rhodes Chroma towards the end of Weather Report. But I never saw him with a Moog anything.

10. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a pretty good rundown of his various keyboards, with dates of use: http://www.zawinulonline.org/Keyboards.html No mention of any Moog gear.

On an interesting side note, I know he had at least one of his keyboards reversed (as you move to the left, the pitch would get higher instead of lower). He said this forced him to think more about what he was playing instead of relying on patterns. I wonder if stringing my bass upside down, like Jimmy Haslip does, would accomplish the same thing.

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Here's a clip from Montreux 1976, he's using an ARP 2600 but no Minimoog. Now that I think of it, Chick Corea was/is more associated with the Minimoog, while Joe and also George Duke were firmly in the ARP camp:

12. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Good to know. I don't own a single pedal, have never really got into pedals since I mostly play jazz music, but I am tryint to broaden my horizons with pedals since I will be performing solo with a loop pedal (that I need to buy). I just don't want people getting bored while they listen to just bass loops, thought I would invest in some practicle effects pedals. I'm leaning more towards the Soundblox for some reason. I think it has a lot more options.

13. The Source Audio Bass Envelope Pro is a great pedal but I would suggest that you need to pair it up with other pedals to really get more sounds. In fact it and the SuperSynth could do a lot together. If you learn the "backpage" on the BEF Pro you could do a lot with Super Synth running into it.
    If you are only wanting one pedal, out of those 2, the MBSS can do a lot more really different sounds, where as the BEF Pro will do a lot of mostly subtle nuances, you could fill the 6 presets with different stuff. The MBSS could do your 9 presets, and the variations of stocksounds very easily. If you were to run into MBSS into the BEF Pro you get 100s of sound combinations to discover, really cool with a looper I bet.
    I have had both of these pedals...twice.

14. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    One small issue with the Super Synth is that it only does sawtooth waveforms, not square or pulse waveforms.

The synth sounds that Joe doubled Jaco's bass with sound like quite thin pulse waveforms to me.

You can definitely get in the ballpark with the Super Synth - I think it's the best bet for real synth tones, short of the Deep Impact.

15. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    George Duke definitely played some mean ARP with Zappa's band!