1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco: The Film - (Jaco Pastorius)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Craig Fones, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Craig Fones

Craig Fones

Feb 25, 2016
    I've been a fan of Jaco for a long time and there is a lot more to him than just playing jazz or jazz fusion on the bass. I never cared for jazz so much but Weather Report was my introduction to the genre of Jazz Fusion which does it for me. He played just about every genre but is most known for his work with Weather Report closely followed by his collaboration with Joni Mitchell/Pat Metheny. To understand why he is so revered you have to take into context what was being played in the 70's and 80's on the the electric bass guitar and how it was being played. He literally took it from a supporting instrument to the lead and solo instrument. Nobody was doing what he did on the bass guitar back then..nobody.

Today there are many exceptional bass players than ever before and a much higher standard exists for being considered a top level player in this century and that is definitely a good thing. Jaco would have a lot of competition for the title of "best bass player in the world" if he had to go up against the big boys and girls of today. But then, what would Jaco be playing now if he had not met his untimely death in 1987??? He took playing the bass to a much higher level. In addition to his unheard of virtuosity he also practically invented the fretless electric guitar. No guitar company made a fretless in his time so he took a Fender Jazz, had the frets removed, filled the slots with wood putty and then coated the fretboard with marine epoxy. The "Bass of Doom". He said frets just slowed him down and were in the way (called them speed bumps). Of course all of you that know Jaco already know all this so I'll stop here as there is a wealth of info already written about Jaco. But like his music or not, you can't dispute the impact he made with the electric bass guitar and the role he played modern music history. In addition to that, his life story is both fascinating and tragic.

There is a movie about Jaco that just was just released in December 2015. It's titled "Jaco: The Film. I encourage you to check out his life story. It's very interesting, fascinating and tragic. There is a reason why he is so respected by so many musicians and hopefully this film will take us further as to why. I'm so looking forward to seeing this.

Jaco: The Film JACO: the Film | Jaco Pastorius

Here's a brief excerpt about the film from the Jaco website.

"Produced by Metallica’s Robert Trujillo in association with Passion Pictures, JACO includes some incredible insights from an array of artists including Flea, Joni Mitchell, Sting, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Geddy Lee, Bootsy Collins, Carlos Santana and others as well as Jaco’s family, and friends. It unveils the story of his music, his life, his demise, and ultimately the fragility of great artistic genius."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Craig Fones

Craig Fones

Feb 25, 2016
    By the way, this was my first post and just so you know, I'm not a shill who is just here for cheap advertising of the movie. If I were that true that would mean I was getting paid to do that which would be frikkin' awesome but unfortunately is not the case. I'm just an intermediate bass player who enjoys sucking at the bass in the privacy of my home. Just thought I would spread the news of the Jaco movie by word of mouth (pun intended). Hope I'm not too late.

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Welcome to the forum, you're not.

bassbrad likes this.
  4. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Come on, Come over.

5. ogiebb

ogiebb Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Rosenberg TX
    ive always heard of Jaco Pastorius as an excellent Bass Player but never knew anything about him. I watched the movie because Robert Trujillo was talking about it and was curious im so hooked now
    on his stuff BTW the Continuum cover of Rodrigo Y Gabriela was very entertaining :)... im also new so Hello everyone !!!!

6. I really enjoyed "Jaco: The film" and also the additional interviews on the second disc. As a long time fan of Jaco that followed his career, music and fall into the tragic end it will find a valuable spot on the Jaco shelf.

7. This looks cool--thanks for sharing!

8. Craig Fones

Craig Fones

Feb 25, 2016
    "Jaco-The Film" is really more of a documentary than a movie. His life story is interesting enough for Hollywood to make a dramatic of movie about the life of Jaco. Any bassist/actors out there that can play like Jaco and sort of look the part? On the other hand, I'm sure Hollywood could get away with an actor playing "Air Bass".

9. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    I'll put these here in case others haven't seen these. I haven't seen Robert's movie so I don't know what more I'm missing that I couldn't find in these videos.

Jaco Pastorius Documentary Part 1 of 4

Jaco Pastorius Documentary Part 2 of 4

Jaco Pastorius Documentary Part 3 of 4

Jaco Pastorius Documentary Part 4 of 4

Jaco Pastorius - Modern Electric Bass

esa372 likes this.
  10. Actually the first fretless was likely made by Bill Wyman, in 1961.

11. rico bass

rico bass

Mar 29, 2013
    NY
    Jaco would have no competition today ,there are alot of good players some excellent but like all really great and special musicians he was blessed with creativity , I haven,t heard anyone of these players today write anything special he had more than great chops , he played great just playing the part you could hear his tone ,amazing. I got to watch often at the Brecker brothers club up close many times , got to speak with him ,would see him in Manhattan very funny and gentle man .He would take time to speak to anyone. Also Jack Bruce played lead bass in the sixties and Jaco said he had listened to his music. Jack also played his Dan Armstrong clear fretless on his Hows tricks album ,saw him at the Roxy sunset strip 76/77. You could practice til doomsday and play well but not all are blessed with the gene that makes you great Hendrix Jaco ,Jack listen to how and what they play then look and listen to what they wrote.

12. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Just bumping to say this is on Netflix now if anyone hasn't seen it yet. I only intended to watch a couple minutes to see if it was any good, but I'm halfway through it.

loki2772 and neckdive like this.
  13. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm watching this tonight.

irjason likes this.