jaco & victor on upright?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jaybo, May 5, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    For two of the biggest names in jazz bass I find it strange that I've never seen or knowingly heard either of these guys playing an upright.
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Vic plays URB often (he owns one of Stanley Clarke's old ones) though I don't know about Jaco... help anyone?
  3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I heard Jaco had one but didnt like it much, since it was so humid where he lived and it messed with it. Or something like that
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Awhile back(5-7 years ago?), PBS ran one of their Lonesome Pines specials with Edgar Meyer, Ray Brown, & Vic.

Vic did play some URB on this show(I have the tape stashed somewhere...).

As far as being two of the big names in "Jazz bass" &...they chose electric bass a their tool of choice. Does that really matter?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The January 2000 edition of Bass Player has a photo of Jaco playing a Double Bass. The text by this says : " Jaco's father, Jack Pastorius, gave Jaco his first upright aorund the same time he received his first electric. Jaco later acquired a second upright, which he played thoughout high school and until around 1974. He loved the sound but found the instrument's upkeep frustrating. Eventually he traded it for Bobbing's '60 Jazz bass. Bobbing eventually gave the upright to a friend, who maintains it as a keepsake."

I have also seen a quote along the lines of - too much effort for too little sound, but can't remember where......