Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Video -- Portrait of Tracy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Thanks for posting that Ray. When I starting playing, Jaco was a huge hero of mine, and its still a kick to see footage. I spent hours figuring out how to play Portrait. Trying to copy Jaco is what gave me the basis of my electric bass technique, and to some degree, I use elements of that in upright.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think he was a pretty big influence on almost everybody, especially from about my age and younger...

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That was cool, thanks, Ray. As much as been said about Jaco's playing, I really wonder what he would have done compositionally had he stuck around a while longer. He was a beautiful writer.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey Marcus, have you heard Jaco's songs like Liberty City, Havona, Punk Jazz, Barbary Coast, and others like that? Those are all his compositions. Even in his short career, he made some wonderful group compositions. Looking at how beautiful his compositions were then, I can't even imagine the possibilities of what he could have written if he was still around.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, I love all of those tunes. The one that always kills me is "Three Views Of a Secret".

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Me too, I did not realize that was one of his songs. Cool :)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I remember reading somewhere that, when he brought "Liberty City" in and showed it to Zawinul, Joe dissed it, saying it sounded like some kind of high school big band arrangement. Apparently it kinda hurt Jaco.

There's a cool version of "Three Views" on a live Toots Thielmans CD, with Kenny Werner on keys.

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Remember that Joe also thought Jaco was playing DB when he first heard "Continuum"... My personal feeling was that Zawinul + Shorter equalled more than they did separately on their own, and that Zawinul benefited more from the synergy than Shorter did. 'Course, Shorter's one of the all time great tune writers. Zawinul's no slouch himself, but I don't see him in the same league as Shorter. I agree that Jaco might have achieved true greatness -- a la Shorter -- as a writer.

Jaco came on the scene exactly when I was starting to get serious about just playing bass -- I was about 15. He nuked my world wide open, making me want to play nothing but bass ever (which is what happened -- thanks Jaco), but also making me feel like I could never come up to his mark. That's what you get with virtuosos.

I've got that teaching video he made with Jerry Jemmott (is that the cat's name? I've got the vibe I've got it wrong) and it's cool to see Jaco do his thing, but it's also nasty 'cause he doesn't really look all that well.

9. Did anybody else notice Jaco shaking out his right hand after the end of the tune? He was only in his mid twenties when this was recorded and he seems to already be having hand/wrist problems. Watch the angle of the wrist folks!

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Probably cramps from pulling pretty hard close to the bridge with all of those harmonics. If it was the other sort of pain he'd have been rubbing instead of shaking.

11. Good point. Thanks.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What strikes me as more painful is the collapsed and off-center left hand thumb. I can't imagine playing Jaco-style material with that left-hand position all night.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but Jaco famously, had double-jointed thumbs - inherited by his son - so it worked for him in a way that might not work for anybody else!! ;)

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    WoW. i dig it.