jaco video

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i was out of town for a few days and visited the local Guitar Center *shudder* to kill some time. they were running a video of a bassist jamming with a drummer. i asked who it was and the guy said "jaco". so i gazed at it for a while just taking mental notes (like that would help!). my 10 minute observation on his playing is that he looks very stiff and uncomfortable while playing. maybe because he knew it was an 'instructional' video? don't get me wrong, he was solid as hell, but just looked uneasy.
  2. Like mentioned in another thread recently, Jaco was already, for lack of better phrase, on his tragic downfall when this video was made. He was suffering from manic depression and he was, I believe, prone to being under the influence of substances during that phase of his life. In order to make that video, the producers had to confine him in his hotel and make sure no one was passing him any drugs.

His playing was definitely not as superior to his peak years. But it's still groovin', full of soul, and has many good phrases. To me, it was a very sincere, informative, historical video and I learned a lot from it. There's also a book/tape set in which all of his examples are transcribed.

Jaco rules!:)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I bet dollars to donuts it was,"Modern Electric Bass." I got this video when I learned Jaco was "god" and it disappointed me to some extent. It has a lot of content that shows his greatness, but in some compositions, such as, "Amerika", he changes to different keys, kicks into distortion, and does some kind on Egyptian-geometric, nonsense soloing, and on the tribute, "Portrait of Tracy," he says, "I forget what I do here." If that was me, I could believe it. But with Jaco, it must have been the ravages of substance abuse. Continued drugging and boozing makes you seem as if your mind is setting in a box next to you when you're trying to communicate. He's so stiff on the video when Jerry Jemmott keeps telling him how great he is and Jaco just kind of stays oblivious to it, not because of humility but because he can't handle it at the time. Nonetheless, the bass was his tongue and his heart.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I refuse to watch that video...Jaco in his prime woulda never been "uneasy" over anything.
    Check out Jaco on the Joni Mitchell video of the SHADOWS & LIGHT album.

5. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I have several bootleg video's of Jaco. Many are with Weather Report '76-80 and some with his Word Of Mouth band. The ones where he was young and clean and full of ideas are amazing. I have him on video playing TeenTown, Birdland, and A Remark You Made among many others tunes with Weather Report in '78 and it is great. it's something to watch him in his prime. The interesting one is from '76 when he had just joined weather report. He looked like a kid but played like a man! It was weird how he handled himself up on stage with these veterans, he played like he had started the band. The "instructional" video in question is a poor reflection on the greatness that was Jaco but I enjoy it all the same. I can look at the early vids to that one and they pretty much tell the story. It's a sad ending but every story has to end.
  6. Ka-tet.
    Would I be able to purchase a copy of the Jaco (Weather Report/Word of Mouth) videos from you?
  7. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Wow. I would KILL to get my hands on those videos. Please say I can kill you for them. Please? =)

My Latin teacher is very lucky in that respect, having seen Jaco LIVE on a Weather Report tour in '78. Not just once, but at two different concerts in the same night when Jaco sat in with another group he went to see!
  8. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I'm not sure I would want to get into this sort of thing as it would be very time consuming. I understand why you guys would want them as I looked for several years tracking these down. Email me privately with question and I'll decide whether I want to do this. One of the videos I have, Jaco is in germany I believe with a group of nobodys though Jon Davis is on keys, and a sax, drummer and guitarist. Jaco appeared to be out of his mind. At one point he had another bassist come up and play who wasn't very good and Jaco eventually took over the keys. This video is a little more depressing than the instructional.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think if anyone wants to learn about what happened with Jaco, you ought to have a look at the new website put up by his children and in particular, read the article written by Mary, which is very moving :

"daddy, just daddy to me."