1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco walking on Birdland?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by j.a.e.r.i.p, Aug 16, 2007.

1. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    So my band just learned Birdland (recording to come hopefully, bass, drums, sax, trumpet) and it's a blast and everything and i learned it outta the Jaco book. So i know it as it is played on Heavy Weather, however on '8:30' jaco walks at the end when they vamp and i'm having a tricky time figuring out how.
    the chords are:

[​IMG]

So i think if i walk over those chords i'll pretty much just play roots, so i was wondering if there was any better way to walk over this...thanks

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    For the first of those bars, I'd play the root note except where noted (i.e. the G/B chords on which you play B) since there's a chord marked for each quarter. As there's only two chords in the second bar, you should try finding two additional notes to play on the 2 and 4. One alternative you could play C-D-C#-C, which leads to the Bm7 in the third bar. You could also try replacing the D on the 2nd quarter with an E, i.e. the third in the Cmaj7 chord. (Does the walking stop here?)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try to add a couple passing notes here and there like Deacon says (good ideas there), but I would probably stick to the roots for the most part, just because that's the song. Best thing to do is try something...if it sounds like crap, don't do it again ;)

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That's also really not walking at that section - he's playing a rhythmic vamp with the whole band.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could walk it if you wanted to.

6. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    Well actually on the 8:30 recording he does walk during this part and the whole section is somewhat swung, so i was trying to recreate that.

7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Transcribe it. Put it in finale. Post it here for future generations. If you want to play something like the recording, learn the recording!

:smug:

8. Rhythmically simplified, but I think this is correct. He mostly uses roots and chromatic leading notes. The last two bars are pretty much the same licks he uses in the Heavy Weather version, so if you've got the Jaco book you should have them in there anyway.

[​IMG]

9. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Headonastick rocks the house. Nothing fancy there, but nice harmonic analysis! Wish more people here had that level of motivation.:bassist: