Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco... where's the hum?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whisper, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    A simple question... if Jaco soloed his bridge pup, how did he avoid getting any hum? I ask this because I am interested in getting the Fender Custom Shop 60's for a bass I will be putting together. I want the sound of single coils... but not the hum. How can I not get the hum, or what did Jaco do?

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe Jaco did solo the bridge p/u, at least not all the time.

He would tend to have the bridge p/u volume up full, with the neck volume down a bit. He then would position his right hand close to the bridge.

Of course this is generalizing, and he would vary things for different situations. He also, btw, played his fretted jazz bass a lot more than most folks realize.

3. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the reply. I know Jaco wasn't a one bass, one setting wonder, he sounded like Jaco himself on any bass he played.

Basically, any suggestions then for avoiding or reducing the hum with the neck pickup rolled off?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't stand near strip lighting, PC monitors, TVs... things like that!!

OR buy an RB5!! ;)

5. Use a dual-pickup model such as the DiMarzio (J or UltraJazz), or stacked (Duncan). The stacked have a different tone, and the DiMarzio get a lot closer to the single coil tone, because they are a pair of single coils. Same concept as the split-P in a Precision bass.