Jaco & William Calhoun

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Just curious. Does anyone know if Jaco ever made any recordings with William Calhoun (drummer for Living Colour)? I say on Will's website that he worked with Jaco but didnt know if he recorded with him.

I'd be interested in hearing it if he did.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Did Calhoun pop up on one of those "Live In NYC" posthumous discs?

Not Jaco but an 'off-the-wall' disc with Calhoun & Will Lee is Doug Munro's Blue Lady...they sound a little like Steve Khan's Eyewitness band with Anthony Jackson & Steve Jordan.
  3. I saw Will give a clinic in 1998, and he said he came into contact with Jaco. Could this have been a jam session or sitting in on a gig?
  4. Thats a good question, I'm not sure.. He website says

"Will has recorded and/or toured with diverse artists including B.B. King, Mick Jagger, Jaco Pastorious.."

Now, the extect of his work with him, I dont know. Id be interested in finding out though.. I love Wills drumming.. Deep pocket and VERY solid..
  5. I suppose it is possible that Will would have been out of Berklee and gigging around NYC in the mid to late 80's, which would have been right around the end of Jaco's life. Jaco liked to jump on stage and just start playing with people, I'm sure Will would have been playing in some jazz/funk/rock kind of combo that would have appealed to him.
  6. I hope he wouldnt mind me posting this, but this is straight from an email Will sent me:

"I worked with Jaco at an old club in NYC called the JAZZ CULTURAL THEATER. It was a small club where most musicians would stop in after their own gigs..roughly 1-3am to sit in or jam. Jaco was working on the Word of Mouth album and he hired me to play drums, and he hired a bass player..he played piano and literally worked out a few of the songs on the gig. He had manuscript paper at the piano and began composing the music. I was still in college at the time..so this was an amazing gig for me......whenever I listen to that record..I think about the Jazz Cultural theater gig."

Just thought it would be cool for others to read also
  7. As a Living Colour fanatic and a Jaco fan, thank you. That's very cool.