Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco with Pat Metheney.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Samelot, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    hi, ive been listening to some of pat metheneys earliest cds and i am absolutley in love with the bass. I know for a fact he played in Bright Size Life, but just recentley i discovered that he didnt play in 2 of my other favriotes, Pat Metheney Group and American Garage. Is this true? And if so, does anyone agree that who ever plays bass in that kinda sounds like jaco, or has as much skill as jaco, because i didnt know many other bass players could play taht well.?.

2. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    Mark Egan plays on PM Group and American Garage. He plays a fretless p bass that Jaco converted fret/fretless and J p-up on bridge. The bass actually belongs to Pat Metheny.
    Sam

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I believe Mark Egan was playing a Pedula even back then, I saw the Pat Metheny group in the early eighties and the buzz was Marks main axe. I think tone wise the frettless tone on those two cd's is among the best sounding bass tone I've ever heard. I believe in the interviews I read he used his buzz thru a lexicon delay to get his signiture tone. Mark also did some great work on Larry Coryells "Tricycles". His solo stuff is hit or miss for me, a little to ambient-new age for my taste. IMHO He's also done a pile of studio work including Joan Osborns early CD's.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    BSL is my favorite era out of either of those cats.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    + 1 on Bright Size Life.....two young & unknown cats trying to make their mark. I also enjoyed the second Metheny album Watercolors, with Eberhard Weber on bass. I'm a big fan of Eberhard's style.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Why am I always the only one that isn't KO'd by BSL?
    It's OK, but...
    I tend to agree with Bob Moses' comments(Milkowski's Jaco bio) about that record.
    In retrospect, I wonder if Dave Holland woulda been a better choice.
    ;)

Anyway, don't forget about the Metheny-Jaco-Bruce Ditmas-Paul Bley album...a little 'heavier' than BSL, IMO.

As far as Egan w/ Metheny-
    ...there's a nice picture of him with the P-J bass on the back cover of American Garage(IIRC; the group is seen playing in a garage).
    The tune "Jaco" on PMG is a dead give-away that Egan & Metheny were fans.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Y'know...I think we should stop providing this service for 'freeloaders'...;)

I have had the feeling over the last few weeks, that all I'm doing in these kinds of threads (thinly-veiled discussions) - is "filling in the gaps" as regards info, gained from my personal CD collection...

...solely for the benefit of those who have just downloaded MP3s - !! :meh:

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No one forces you to respond. ;)

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Well, what are you doing posting your CD collection online in the first place, Bruce?

:bag: ;)

Wulf

10. Bruce Lindfield

I think the next question like this - I shall say something like :

"I know the answer - look on the back page of the CD cover!!" ;)

I was just looking for some kind of agreement/pact with Jim, as we seem to be the two with big CD collections!! :)

11. On the other hand you could just say nothing and move on :meh:

All this pointless argument can't be good for your blood pressure.

I was also wondering how you had surmised that you (and Jim) had the largest CD collections. Maybe the rest of us just don't talk about them all the time. ;)

12. I'm pretty sure Mark played Fender's all through the time of those classic CD's. I say the Metheny band twice during that period, and he was playing the modified Jazz Bass described above both times. The Pedulla thing he went to later is also nice... but there's something about those original 'frets pulled out' J Basses that just can't be duplicated IMO

13. Bruce Lindfield

There's no argument here - I was just making an observation that I thought JimK might find... "pertinent"....:D

14. That isn't very fair. While I have a huge CD collection as well, some of us download MP3's that aren't free. In fact, they cost $.99 each through this service called iTunes. It is new, but I think it might catch on!

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ken, Mark's equipment page was down, but I saw the Pat Metheny Group in 80,81 (I believe the American Garage tour) and I think Mark played the Fender on one tune and he played the buzz on everything else. The Pedulla page says Mark was working with Pedulla as early as 77 on the development of his basses. Now you may very well be right about what was on the first PMG CD's although that Fender was set up by Mike Pedulla with a coated board and Bartolinis. And the bass wasn't a modified Jazz, it was a P with a Jazz pickup by the bridge. An early 60's that Jaco had given him! Mark gave it to Pat Metheny and it was stolen in Chilie in the mid 80's.

http://www.pedulla.com/html/perspective_-_bass_player_maga.html

16. The tours I was talking about were in the mid and late 70's.... you are probably correct that by the early 80's he was in the Pedulla camp.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you truck with the Devil ......;)

And ..life's not fair!!

Get over it!! :D

18. You're right. Life isn't fair. I guess I sometimes expect PEOPLE to be fair. Time to lower my expectations again.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think it's fair to musicians/composers who make their living through royalties - that if you want all the information provided by a CD - then you should buy that CD!!

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    +1!!