Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pharmaecopia, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Call me stupid but how did Jaco die??
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Basically, in Sept., 1987,the story goes he tried to get into a private Ft. Lauderdale area night club, The Midnight Club, (I think it was in Wilton Manor to be exact) and he was loaded. The bouncer/manager beat on him mercilessly and the damage to his brain was too much for him to survive. Had he survived anyway, the speculation was he would have lived with one side of his body paralyzed, even though at one point he was responding to simple commands like wiggling his fingers.

The killer got off with little punishment for the murder. He said Jaco had "fallen." He was charged with aggravated battery and posted a bond.
  3. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    He was beaten to death by a bouncer at a club when he tried to crash the place and sit in with the band, if I'm not mistaken. The guy didn't even know who he was....tragic, just tragic.
  4. Thanks!!! Is there a website that has detailed info about this..???....

Thanks again...
  5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

This has the whole story.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i thought the bouncer got 4 months in prison for aggrivated manslaughter, i thought he should have been hung. But when i look at it, would i want to see jaco get any worse than what he was at? Wasn't he living out of his bass case, usually totally drunk, etc. He was kinda like Elvis. It was, in a way, good that early. He was going to die sooner or later. It's too bad a lot of people labeled him as a drunk *******. Who knows what some people would call him if he lived longer. Too bad he couldn
    t have lived a sober life, all the way though. But even when he was sober he always thought that he was going to die before he hit 40.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tracy - Obviously, we can only speculate, but perhaps Jaco was getting near the point every addict/aholic needs to reach - hitting their personal bottom and seeing that their current path leads to death.

He may have soon reached the point of getting sick and tired of being sick and tired and picked up the pieces as millions have successfully. Too bad he didn't survive that incident and have the opportunity to see it as his critical wake-up call for his recovery.
  8. Another thing that we need to take into consideration is that Jaco was suffering from a very real case of manic depression. Had he been able to receive the proper medical care, who knows how things would have turned out.
  9. He did recieve medical attention, but he didnt realize he was sick, it didn't help him at all.