Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Ok, so this thread has very little to do with jaco, but I was hoping it might get some attention.

Last time I was on holiday I bought a Jaco CD and really enjoyed it. I'll be wanting to buy more CDs this time I'm on holiday because they're a lot cheaper over there, and I was wondering if any of you guys could give be some recomendations of CDs which are largely bass orientated, similar to most of jacos.

I would like to know the name of the artist (or band) you are reccomending, whether they are a solo artist or play in a band, the title of the album and the genre of the music.

I only have till friday to get the old recoemendations in because I leave on saturday morning, so if any of you guys can suggest anything that'd be great.

(please note I wont have TOO much money to throw away so try make the suggestions really good ones.)

Oh man I'm demanding... Cheers guys.
  2. I really recomend a record by the swedish bassist Jonas Hellborg called "e" (I think). It's him and two brothers playing drums and electric organ. Quite agressive jazzfusion. He's also made a record with only him on solo bass called "Elegant punk".

Also check out Tribal Tech Tones (with Victor Wooten on bass, quite different from his Flecktones stuff). I think they've only made two reccords.

Jamiroquai with Stuart Zender on bass. I reccomend the following albums. "Emergency on planet earth", "Return of the space cowboy" and "Traveling without moving".
  3. So what genre are the flecktones and the tribal tech tones? I've never heard any Wooten before, sorry. And what albums buy them would you recomend?
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Uh, where?

If you can, try to find Jeff Berlin's "Crossroads" and Bruford's Gradually Going Tornado. Return to Forever's Light as a Feather (Stanley Clarke) is well worth checking into as well.

Hey, Dudemeister, It's Vital Tech Tones. It's nice, but kind of a wankfest, IMO. For musicianship and musicality, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' Live Art is hard to beat.

For just good quality music, check out Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool and Kind of Blue recordings.

Also, try to get something with Oscar Pettiford. and Duke Ellington's Duest and Trios with Jimmy Blanton on bass are great too.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well by this strict criteria, you're probably looking at Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke solo albums - but I'm not sure of best recomendations. I like individual tracks but not whole albums unreservedly.

I would throw out a mention for Franc O' Shea's solo album "Esprit" - Franc is an electric bassist who plays Jazz and he wrote all the compositions which feature his great bass sound extensively and one or two tracks are solo bass features. This is as close to the "spirit" of Jaco's first album I have ever heard.

Victor Bailey was Jaco's replacement in Weather Report and often seen as having a similar sound - his last solo album "That's Right" is pretty good - some of the basslines were analysed in Bass Player and it's pretty good stuff with one of two strange choices but great playing and funky!
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    For my money, Gary Willis puts out some of the better electric bass-led discs.
    He only has 2-
    No Sweat

...and he also plays in Tribal Tech + other projects(Uncle Moe's Space Ranch, the odd Holdsworth & Wayne Shorter album, etc).
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Tonly Levin, Waters Of Eden - I love this album. Tony Levin is not known for playing a bujillion notes an hour but he creates some great moods and really interesting melodys.

Niacin, Time Crunch - Billy Sheehan (Bass) John Novello (Keys) and Dennis Chambers (Drums). I can't say enough good things about this album. I was never a huge Billy Sheehan fan, but this album has got me hooked. The title track, elbow grease, has Billy playing IMO some very Jaco-esque riffs. I just need to get the rest of the Niacin collection now.

Chris Squire, Fish Out Of Water - I am a huge Chris Squire fan and think this is a really interesting album. Not at all like Jaco or any other bassist listed so far but I had to throw him in the mix.
  8. Sorry 'bout that. I was of course thinking of Tribal Tech at the same time i wrote the post...

I haven't found any Flecktones records here in Sweden and I've only heard very little with them so I can't say much about them.
    I think "wankfesting" kan be quite fun to listen to in small doses. :)
    Do you know where to order the Live Art record and are there different versions of it (double/single CD)?

Hmmm... the Hellborg record "e" also happens to be sort of a wankfest... :cool:
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    All these years-
    ...and I finally treated myself to Squire's Fish Out Of Water last Christmas. I like it...

I can't say the same about Niacin's 2nd disc, High Bias, though...IMO, that's a perfect example of how not to record an electric bass. The sound, again IMO, is reed-thin.

The best electric bass-led thing I have bought this year is Fima Ephron's Soul Machine. I can't heap enough good things to say about this disc. Too, Ephron's other bands-
    Lost Tribe, The Screaming Headless Torsos, & The Hasidic New Wave...definitely required listening(IMO). ;)

If interested-
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    off to recordings since you're asking about Cd's
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I really like the Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten album Just Add Water. I'd highly recommend that one, but others may feel differently.
  13. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, if you say you've NEVER heard Wooten, you OWE it to yourself to buy "A Show of Hands" by Victor Wooten. Not much to do with Jaco, but if you enjoy bass, enjoy harmonics, slap, tap, and just an overall GROOVE pick this cd up. And then buy some of what these other guys said:)

14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...are you talking about the Roscoe bass?
    If so, yeah, I've been back over there & played it again. I also ran into TB-er Willie Dizon...he was considering "selling" his 4-string Roscoe. Willie also told me he "traded" away his Modulus Vintage Jazz bass for...a sushi dinner!?
    I offered him a buffet to his restaurant of choice for the Roscoe. I'm still waiting for his answer. ;)

BTW, I'm a little upset over my Bergie w/ 3x10s...if I had been a little more patient, I would have gone for the "new" 1x12 + 2x10 Bergie cab.

Oh well, back "On Topic". ;)