Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NYCBass, Sep 2, 2009.

1. NYCBass

NYCBass If it feels good it must be a Jazz Bass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    When you see a new thread about Jaco how does it make you feel?

Are you one of the people that are happy to see a thread about Jaco?
    Enjoy the opportunity to talk about his great bass playing and wonderful composition work? Remember the man for the good times and the impact he made on the electric bass and modern music in general?

Or are you, one of the people who see a new thread about Jaco, and say oh no not again. Are you tired of hearing the accomplishments and the legacy of his work? Would you be happier if you never seen another thread regarding Jaco?

Or are you one of the people, who are just indifferent to Jaco? Don't think he was that important to bass playing as a whole and the music industry in general?

Which one would you be?

2. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    "Jaco only needed 4..."

IBTL :D

3. Definitely the happy section, because every thread i learn something about either his life or his playing that i didn't know before!

4. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    I'm happy to listen to Jaco's playing.

I'm not so happy to see people talk about him, as it always seems to devolve into the same tired comments about his declining mental health.

His widow and children are still around: I'm sure they would just as soon not have to see people get into those types of details about the man.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I would be one of the people who says he appreciates Jaco's work and is interesting to learn more about this pioneering bassist.

However, I would not be one of the people that starts a thread about a bassist with an open invitation to the opposite camps, the admireres and the haters, to have a "discussion" wether he is awesome or annoying.

But then again, "sociology" studies are not in my league.

6. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    I would have to take the 3rd choice. I respect his talent but I never heard of him for quite a few years after I started playing bass, therefore he had no influence on me. I'm more into rock and metal and get bored quickly when listening to his music. For me to get hooked on a song or band, the song or the band has to offer more as whole other then just one musician soloing most of the song. Not trying to flame him, just giving my own personal opinion.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I say do a search and read all the threads about Jaco before you create another one pondering the merit of yet another Jaco thread. :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021