Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stachio, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Anybody see these guys on BET Jazz. Intense stuff. Sort of funky avant-garde jazz.
    The bassist, Reed Mathis, is solid. Pretty innovative and original.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Seen 'em, met 'em - great guys and great musicians.

Go see them live.

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Good deal Planet.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them live, indeed. They seemed to have a good stage presence.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This is a show not to be missed! Some people will claim it's just noise - that is not the case. Very innovative stuff by everybody in the group. Where else can you see a guy headbanging on the piano? Sometimes Reed straps on a cello and plays it like an electric! This ain't your grandpa's jazz. At one show I saw they did an improv song called - George Bush is definitely a liar! Seriously, these guys are one of the most originals bands I've heard in years. I think they still have the rule that if the crowd comes up with a song before they do that they have to play it. On a side note - they ingest large quantities of Noni tea and wheatgrass.

5. I've seen them a few times. Pretty cool act. Weirder than I really enjoy. Reed is a fantastic soloist, and actually plays really good bass too, although each time I saw them, there was less bass playing. He uses an octave shifter a lot for solos, which defeats the limitations of bass as a solo instrument, but also makes it less interesting to me. He told me he worked a lot with the keyboard player to get him to play bass lines like a bassist would play, and not like a keyboardist would play. So when Reed does go endlessly insane, there is the potential for music to still exist.

Their ability to make entire songs up 100% on the spot and have them be interesting is very impressive.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My roommate loves them and got me to go see them at one of the Jazz nights we have here.

Great show, highly reccommend them, I only wish I could have seen more! (I had to duck out early to finish a paper :( )

7. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    They are indeed fantastic improvisors. I've been listening to them for the past couple of years. It is definitely some far out stuff. If your not into avante guard sounding improv then you probably should steer clear of these fellas. Definitely not your grandpa's jazz as one of you said. Reed actually uses an old Whammy pedal and a few other little toys. Sometimes he has to sit down to play because he's working so many things with his feet. Really amazing. He takes the bass to some relatively unexplored territory, but he also lays down a lot of more traditional bass lines. It's a three piece band that sounds like a half dozen guys. I highly recommend them.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I saw them last summer. I also saw the pianist play in a 2-hour jam with Brad Houser, Bernie Worrell, Skerik, Karl Denson (& Karl Denson's guitarist and trumpet player), and a bunch of other cats. That was a pretty amazing show.