Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacob Horst 3/4?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Demens, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Hi, I was just browsing the internet, looking at places I could go try (or preferably rent) basses in Dallas or Austin, and one of the places that came up as a dealer of basses was Brook Mays.

Anyways, I was browsing their site and came across a Jacob Horst 3/4, did a search on TB, with no info. So... Has anyone tried one, or heard anything?

The description looks nice for that price range. I am hoping I will be able to go and play it (or rent one). I have never played DB before and need an instrument, so was going to go for a rental... But I just thought that looked interesting... Let me know what yall think.

Thanks
    Lloyd

2. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I looked at them once, Romanain.

Used to sell for $3,500, so if it's the same bass $1,299 looks pretty good.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Brookmays is a Chain store with about 100 locations for Guitars, Pianos, etc.. They buy other local stores and let them keep the original name and main staff but all buying and lines they carry are thru the Dallas Purch. dept. We just stopped doing business with them. In the Trade magazines, they just lost a big case in court for bad mouthing low end gear in WalMart and Kosco.

If you want a Bass, go to a String Shop and get one ready to play. People at Guitar Stores get to set up a low level carved Bass at best. Bass Luthiers in Bass or String Shops work on Italian and English masterpieces every day. If I need an Operation, I would rather go to a top Surgeon than the Nurse at Home Depot!

Buy from a shop that can deliver a playable product. The problem is that beginners don't know what playable is yet. They are not working on the Dragonetti or one of the Brandenberg Concertos. As one gets better, you realize waht you can and cant' play due to the set-up or the Bass itself. Try a Bass Pro shop. It may cost you less in the long run.

4. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    So, do you think that instrument is not a good deal? Even if I paid a luthier to do a setup after I got it from the store?

Because it sounds fairly decent for only $1300... And I really can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on an instrument.

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback though. Double bass is a scary world to enter into. If anyone could, does anyone know a place I could go rent a bass or look at basses around Waco, TX? I am trying Austin and Dallas... They seem to be my best chance.

I didn't know if one of you knew a luthier in the area that could help point me in the right direction or anything (everyone in Double Bass seems to be in the East... :meh: )

Thanks
    Lloyd

5. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Give Mark Rubin a try at Violins etc in Austin. He always has some nice basses, and knows how to set them up. Give him a call, as what he has in stock will vary.

http://www.violinsetc.com/violinsetc/dept.asp?dept_id=401

I had some work done (new FB, general set-up) on my old crap china ply at Brook Mays, and was very happy with the work they did.

6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Your best bet would probably be one of the Chrissys at Violins Etc. It's a good shop, and Chris is a brand that is looked upon favorably. Good Luck,
    Pete

7. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for the replies, looks like I am leaning towards a trip to Austin instead of Dallas...

Thanks
    Lloyd