Jaco's '62 Baby Blue Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shadow66, May 4, 2019.

1. Shadow66

Shadow66

May 4, 2019
    Hello, new member here. I've been trying without success to find out about Jaco's missing '62 BabyBlue Jazz Bass. Supposely stolen with his Bass of Doom. His Bass of Doom was found, but I cannot find anything about the BabyBlue one. Anyone ever hear about it? I found this ad in Bill Milkowski's book JACO pg191. The ad is from July1986. P1040174.JPG

Wisebass likes this.
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He used to gig with the fretless and a matching fretted 61 sunburst. You can see it in nearly every live pic and used in Birdland videos. I wonder what happened to that one as well.

3. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Huh, I read that book and somehow missed the fact that he owned a baby blue J.

4. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Is “baby blue” Daphne ?

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi elgranluis :)

Hard to tell! With a b/w photo! :D Maybe...or maybe not?

7a00538a1c4281192c2107a53c55f727 - Copie.jpg

7a00538a1c4281192c2107a53c55f727.jpg

As far as I can remember,

both ("daphne blue" and "sonic blue " )

were called "baby blue" back in the 80s.

Folks didn' t like these colours :(

and the pre CBS hype wasn' t what it is today.

Jaco' s bass prolly got a black rattle can finish, a badass bridge and aftermarket pups

after it was stolen. :banghead:

Sad story!!!!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Shadow66 likes this.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I don't recall ever hearing about a baby blue jazz bass, I used to live in W. Palm Beach and knew Kevin Kaufman. I heard many a Jaco story but never anything about a blue bass. There was a black one and another with a stripped body which appears in several photos but as far as I knew they were not one of his favorites and were not played often. The BOD and the other sunburst fretted jazz were his two main players.

Shadow66 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022